Chapter 111 - The hero

Lux danced through the trails of the dead. Passing tombstone after tombstone with a huge smile plastered on her face. The people visiting their loved ones stared in awe at my sister's fairy-like joy. 

"Ummm, is she always like this when she visits?" Donum asked from behind.

I chuckled and glanced back.

"Honestly, I wouldn't know. This is the first time we've come together."

"Well, we're definitely making a scene…" Leo mumbled. 

Wiz laughed.

"I can't blame her! Can't you just feel the Magica in the air!" Wiz cheered.

"In a graveyard? No, I can't say I'm feeling it." Penelope replied.

We all continued forward, eventually catching up to Lux. Who had the entire blanket laid out for us at the headstone. 

"Well come on! You guys are slow!" Lux complained. "The ice cream is gonna melt!"

"Oh! Oh! I can use my Magica to keep it cold!" Wiz called out.

Leo playfully karate chopped his head. 

"We agreed, no Magica, remember?"

Wiz huffed and folded his arms. 

"Fine."

Soon we came up to the tombstone and I sat down on the blanket. I set down the bouquet of flowers at her grave and smiled at it. The blue hyacinth, Annual said they reminded her of me.

"Hey, mom sorry it took me so long to come back." I said.

Lux set down her flowers next to mine and we turned back towards the group, who were busy getting situated on the blanket. Well everyone except for Donum, who was standing a few feet away from the blanket.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked.

"I umm, I don't know if I should be.." She looked up and scratched the back of her head. 

Before I could say anything, Lux rushed over to her. 

"Come on, I know mom would love to see you." She told her. 

Donum looked back at Lux with a bewildered look in her eye. Even her mechanical one seemed surprised. 

"Are you sure?"

Lux just smiled and grabbed her hand. Then pulled her along toward the tomb. 

"Absolutely." 

Once Donum and Lux were seated, Leo pulled out the boxes of popsicles and opened them up. Then started to pass them out. Once everyone had one, the entire group turned toward me.

"Uuum, what?" 

"Well, give us a speech leader!" Penelope cheered. 

My cheeks flushed and I looked around. Everyone was waiting, did they plan this and not tell me!?

"I umm.."

I cleared my throat and turned back to the grave. The old days at our house came into my mind. We're Zack and I would run around like idiots outside. When there wasn't a care in the world. I glanced back at the group and they all reassured me with a smile. I took a breath and opened my wrapper, holding up the popsicle high. 

"Today we mark the memory of a great woman. She was rash and forceful, yet loving and kind. Mom was the reason I wanted to be a hero, seeing how she changed people's lives." I turned toward her grave. "I know you wanted me to be happy with a bunch of friends and family. So I brought a lot of them today." I turned back to the group. "Thank you all for being here. I've lost a lot, but that doesn't mean I don't have anything. Nor does it mean I've lost the good memories. Things I'll cherish forever, while I make new ones. So with that, let's not just remember mom. But everyone we've lost."

Lux walked over and took her snowflake necklace off, then placed it next to the flowers. Then she hugged me.

"Thank you for that." She whispered then sat back. 

I nodded and held out the popsicle. Everyone tapped there's against mine.

"To new memories!" I cheered.

I knocked on her apartment door and nervously shifted where I stood. My heart raced and I nervously shook the caramel frappes in my hand. Is my hair okay? Is my shirt tight enough!? Wait, is that a bad thing!? Wait! Even if it is, I have my blue hoodie on! Should I keep it on or..?

My thoughts came to a screening halt as the lock clicked. Slowly the door opened and her father came to the door. His eyes met mine and I choked on my breath.

"Oh, Stryder? Are you here for Val?" He asked.

"I umm, date shirt tight hoodie tight."

His eyes grew wide and then he squinted his eyes at me. 

"What did you just say?"

"Dad? Is that Stry-" 

Val pushed through the door and she blushed. Then pulled her dad away. 

"I got it dad!" She said and shoved him back.

Then she stepped outside and shut the door behind her. 

"Oh umm hey! What's up hero boy?" She asked.

My eyes traced over her a bit. Her sweet Amber eyes, her beautiful raven locks, she was absolutely beautiful.

I held out the caramel frappe. 

"I ummm.." I looked away. "Would you umm...want to ummm. I mean you don't have to or anything! It's totally not that important and-"

"Are you trying to ask me out?" 

I jumped and slowly turned to her again. A smile grew on her lips and my heart slowly calmed down. 

"Y-yeah, yes. I wanted to ask you out."

Her smile grew wider than before. She nodded and opened her door. 

"Yeah, I'd like that. Let me get my shoes." 

She reached out and grabbed one of the drinks.

"This for me?" She asked.

I nodded. 

"Caramel frappe, favorite right?" 

She giggled and nodded. 

"You really are smooth. It's exactly my favorite." She said and walked back inside.

"Yes!" I cheered. "Look at me now Jack! I did it!"

I squeezed my hand a bit hard and my cup exploded. Sending my frappe all over my fingers and clothes.

"Are you serious!?" I grumbled and started cleaning my pants. 

As I aggressively whipped at my pants, my phone exploded to life. 

“Seriously?” I grumbled and stopped wiping, then quickly answered.

"Ah, hello? Mind if I call you back in-"

"Stryder, it's good to hear from you."

My heart started to pound against my chest. 

"Arthur?"

"Yes, I heard about Jack and your friend. I do send my condolences."

"I appreciate it, I'm sorry I couldn't do more for Jack."

"I wanted you to know, Zack is now on my list. He's one of the most dangerous people to let loose. I plan on apprehending him."

"Wait what!?"

"He is your friend. So I figured I'd give you the opportunity to do something. My games are still this summer. If you can prove you can handle it. You can work with me, and then. I'll let you handle it.”

“Wait, maybe if I can expl-”

“I’ll send a representative soon. Try to have an answer by then.”

Before I could say another word, he hung up. My arms dropped to the side and I chewed on my lip.

“Right, I almost forgot. Nothing’s really changed.”