Chapter 2-Reunions

"Finally!" Zack cheered as he leaped onto the couch.

"You act like you did something," I huffed as I walked over to him. 

He was sprawled out on the couch with his hair in his face. Kinda reminded me of the grudge.

"You should be grateful that the mighty destroyer of worlds was kind enough to grace you with his presence."

I jumped and landed on his stomach.

"Ah-! The hell!?"

"Oh what? When did we get a talking couch?" I snickered. 

"Fine! Fine! I'll move!"

I chuckled in triumph and stood up. Then as if on cue, we heard a knock at the door.

I groaned. 

"Wonder who that is?"

"Probably some ghetto kid selling candy," Zack replied.

I just rolled my eyes and I walked to the door. As I opened it up, I felt a warmth rise in my chest.

"Hey bro! I left my key again," Lux said with a nervous chuckle.

She had bags upon bags railed down her arms, and was still wearing her nurse's uniform.

"You gotta stop doing that," I laughed as I started taking the bags from her.

"Oh, my sweet Lux has arrived! My darling, how could you keep your future husband waiting!" Zack cheered as he exploded to life.

"Oh, I'm sorry. How could I ever leave poor old Zack waiting? However shall I make it up to you?" My sister sarcastically replied as she walked into the kitchen.

"It's okay my dear. I'll forgive my darling this time," Zack hummed, practically skipping over to her. "Come my dear; let's watch a movie together on the couch."

Lux laughed as she started to untie her bun. Letting her raven locks cascade down onto her shoulders.

"Give me a call when you're legally allowed to watch R rated movies, okay hun?" With that, she walked off to her room.

"Does buying a rated R movie from a shady Puerto Rican guy count?" 

"Are you talking about Sarah's Game? Dude, you almost pissed yourself every time one of those dolls showed up." I started laughing at the memory of Zack's girlish screams. 

Zack spun around on his heels and glared at me.

"Hey! When the dolls start taking over and eating your flesh, I'm gone!" He spoke so seriously, I had a hard time telling if he was joking or not. 

He turned back around toward my sister, and I heard a loud squeal come from him. He fell back onto the floor yelling, "Kill it! Kill it!" I looked to see my sister holding up her baby doll. The doll was no bigger than her hand. It had curly and matted brown hair and pale skin. Completed by a worn out blue dress and a single cracked green eye. The left eye was missing (total nightmare fuel.) 

"Oh, my darling Zack, did my friend Emily scare you?" Lux laughed as she shut the door to her room.

"She knows she wants me," Zack said as he got up from the ground.

"I don't think she's into seventeen-year-olds," I muttered.

...

We sat back on the couch and started up a movie. An hour into it, I could barely keep my eyes open. 

Suddenly the darkness from outside started to flood the room. I tried to struggle against its snar, but the darkness just lulled me away. Until there was nothing.

There was a flash of light, and the picture started to form. I was standing on the sidewalk, and I felt my skin tingle from the sun. That's when my eyes found her. The deep ocean eyes, her long raven locks. It was mom. Without a word, I immediately hugged her.

"Mom! I missed you!" I cried into her as I buried my face into her side. 

 She slowly snaked her arms around me, not saying a word. And I just felt so whole again. 

"Oh Stryder, if only you really did love me." She whispered.

Her words were like a cloud that blocked out the sun, sending a chill down my spine. I let her go and took a step back. My heart started racing and I couldn't keep my hands still. I stared at her once inviting smile, and felt my body tremble.

"That's not true. I do love you Mo-"

BAM! 

My mom's body rocketed forward as something exploded against her back. Sending her body forward like a lifeless doll as she flopped onto the ground. There was a faint ringing in my ear, and it felt like the wind got knocked out of me.

Her back was bathed in crimson red and streamed onto the ground. My eyes stared at the river of blood that flowed down to my feet.

I looked up from the red river and stared at the barrel of the gun. My eyes trailing down to the misty figure who pulled the trigger.

From a misty fog the words "all your fault" started appearing around me. I stumbled back and looked around, trying to avoid the words. But they were just everywhere I turned! I even started to hear it being whispered into my ears.

My legs started to shake, and I fell onto the ground. The smokey words pounced upon me and I closed my eyes. "Stop it," I begged, but the voices just got louder. "I said stop!"

Suddenly there was a flash of white. I sat up and my heart was racing. Sweat rolled down my face as I tried to catch my breath. It was like I ran a marathon. I couldn't stop panting. I looked around for mom, but I just found Zack drooling on the couch, mumbling something about chickens in his sleep.

"It was just a dream..."

I wiped my face and felt something cold on my hands. Must've been tears. 

"Stry I- Hey are you okay?"

I jumped at her voice and turned around. There was Lux, wearing her nurse scrubs and oversized backpack.

Without a word she dropped her backpack and ran over to me. Her azure eyes stared into mine, then quickly pulled me into her arms. And I just melted into her.

"I can tell you had that dream again," she whispered, gently patting the back of my head. "Remember, it's not your fault. It was out of your control." 

And there she goes, telling me sweet lies again.

"Yeah..." I mumbled.

She let go and took a step back. 

"I love you Stryder, no matter what that dumb, old drunk says. Now go take a shower, and make sure this idiot does too." She said, pointing at Zack.

"Gotcha," I said with a pushed smile.

"Oh, I made bacon and eggs for you guys. It's in the microwave," 

Then with that, she rushed out the door.

I let out a sigh as the door shut. She's such a bad liar...