Chapter 9 - The boss battle

The old rusty doors to the factory towered over us like we were ants in the grass. We both looked over to each and then back to the doors. This was actually real, we were really going to go after the leader of the Red Steel Gang. We were really about to do this. Were we ready for this? What if we get jumped by more members? Can I even dodge more than one gunshot at a time? I can't get cold feet now, this may be our only opportunity to- my thinking was interrupted as I felt a hand rest on my shoulder. I turned to see Zack giving me a confident smile, I knew exactly what he meant by that look. I needed to relax.

I took a deep breath and slowly put my hands on the old rusty metal doors, pushing them open. We were greeted by a rush of cold air that carried the aroma of cigarettes and alcohol. The smell only grew stronger as we walked further inside. There was a huge litter of construction equipment inside the building, metal beams, heavy machinery. Maybe it was an old assembly factory? It reminded me of one of those horror movie scenes, where the stupid teens walk into an obvious trap and get themselves killed. Definitely don't know how that feels...

"Oooh, I can't wait to roast this guy's nuts on an open flame!" Zack cheered with a daunting super-villain laugh, while lighting his hands on fire. He was the last person who needed to conjure fire...

"Shut up you idiot! He might have more goons in here." I whispered.

"Dude, we literally have superpowers. You just weaved a bullet and now we're taking down a gang leader. Loosen up!" He cheered and smacked my back.

I was about to throttle him, but outta nowhere I saw a steel beam whizzing our way. I shoved Zack out of the way and dived to the ground, just barely dodging it. I rolled to my feet hunched down behind a machine. I looked behind me and saw the steel beam lodged into the floor, that was almost our heads. As I started to think of a new battle strategy, I heard someone clapping, I looked up and saw a dark figure walking toward us, with a bunch of machines and tools floating around them.

"Zack!-"

"I'm on it!"

The room became illuminated with a green flare coming from Zack's fire, and the figure became completely visible. It was a man with caramel skin and dreads, his red steel banada was tied around his head. But the most interesting thing about him was a dragon tattoo that was coiled around his face.

My heart started to race. The reality of this situation just hit me, he must be a gifted. I focused on the steel beams and equipment floating around him. I assumed it was telekinesis, or possibly metal bending, or maybe even gravity. Regardless he's a noob just like us, he probably can't control it that well. I at least knew mine would activate in dangerous situations, my best bet would be to rush him.

"Zack, cover me!" I yelled and charged in.

"Don't hog the beating!" Zack complained.

The machines and beams started flying toward me fast. I jumped and weaved the oncoming onslaught. My parkour and freerunning hobby was really paying off. Zack was shooting fireballs at flying objects coming at me trying to keep them away. Missing most, but he was try- Oh crap! Suddenly one of Zack's fireballs was inches away from making me barbecue. I leaped out of the way and rolled behind a machine.

"My bad!" Zack called out.

Really! He almost roasts me alive and all he can say is 'my bad'? I let go of the thought and looked back at my target. He seemed to notice me and sent more equipment my way. I vaulted over a machine for cover as the equipment rammed against it. I took off at top speed toward him again, this time getting a good rhythm with his attack pattern.

As I got close, I could see the panic in his eyes. Then Whoosh! The wooden planks from all around started flying toward me. There were just too many of them, I couldn't dodge them all. I guarded myself the best I could putting my arms up to protect my head. I guess the metal bending idea was out now. I was slammed back and bounced off the floor and eventually rolled back toward Zack.

My forearms stung from the hit, but I pushed myself back up. He is much better than I anticipated. Even though that was a bad thing, I couldn't help but smile. I was excited, eager to keep going. This is what a fight among gifted felt like, like electricity coursing through my veins.

"Who the hell are you two! Bunch of kids got powers too?" He snarled.

I faced him with a wicked grin on my face. I pulled the collar of my shirt down and showed him the mark on my chest.

"That's right! You controlled this city for far too long. It's time to bring you to justice!" I yelled, but he just laughed at me.

"Kid, I'm the fucking leader of the Red Steel Gang. I am the damn law!"

"It's over! Today is the day the law catches up to you!" I yelled and charged toward him again, Zack following behind me this time.

The guy had more equipment sent our way and I prepared myself. I was a bit worried about Zack. He couldn't see things like my gift allowed me to. So I made my maneuvers easy for him to follow, dodging the equipment.

When we got closer to him he pulled a gun from his pants, and shot rapidly at us. I dodged the bullets with ease and got close. Then I punched in the face with all I had. He flew backwards as Zack followed up from behind, and shot a fireball the size of a basketball at him. I dove to the side to get out the way, and the ball exploded on contact and blasted him away, leaving trails of embers behind. He crashed into the side of a conveyor belt leaving a huge dent in the machine. I stared in awe at his slumped over lifeless body, which dragged me out of my rush. Did, did we just kill him? Was he de-

Then my words were lost in the wind as the man slowly struggled to his feet, and he stood right up. (As if he wasn't just nuked halfway across the room into a conveyor belt.) He should be dead, or at least have broken most of his bones from a blast like that. I guess that's the "upgrades" they were talking about.

"EAT THIS LOSER!"

Zack immediately started blasting him rapidly with mini fireballs. A lot of them flew in every other direction, but the ones that hit knocked him back down to the ground. Then like an army of bees they piled up on him until BOOM! They all exploded. There was silence for a moment, as we both waited to see if he would get back up from that. Did we actually win? Or is he gonna get back up for round two?

"Good job my children, you've gained an upgrade by defeating Joe Libro. The cops have been alerted and your DNA evidence shall be erased, and so shall the memories of the trials outside." I knew these voices clearly, it was the Goddesses.

Before I could even speak Our bodys started to shine. The light grew brighter and brighter until everything was white. Then, we were suddenly in the woods. That was it then, I guess we won.