Chapter 107 - Cain Vs Abel

Lux leaned into her backseat and double checked all of her medical equipment. I could hear her mumbling as she counted each first aid kit she had lying around on her car floor. She had over twenty and I genuinely think she stole half of them.

"So, are you sure about staying here? It's not too late to turn around." I said.

"Shut it! You made me lose count!" Lux grumbled.

"I'm just saying, things are gonna get pretty intense. Zacks not playing around."

"Yeah, and that stupid bomb squad is probably gonna get hurt." She stood up straight and shut her door. "So wouldn't it be a good idea to have an ace Medic on deck?"

"Ace Medic? Don't you have like, another two years of med school?"

"Shut it!"

"I'm serious Lux, this isn't a joke."

"And I'm serious too." She said and met my eyes. "I've sat back for way too long and played mom. I have training that can actually help a lot of people."

I sighed.

"Are you aware of Donums special task force?"

"Ummm, totally! But maybe you should remind me. So like, I know you know."

"Right, well, she has a small group of people that know the truth. She managed to get a lot of the excess officers who are staying to guard the bomb squad to join her. Plus some extra officers who should be gone with the evacuation, staying. I put Leo's team in charge of assisting and assigning positions. So if you want to call her or Leo, that'll be fine."

She squinted her eyes at me.

"Wait, so are you alone!?"

"As it stands, I'm the only one who can stand up to Zack on the same level."

"Did you call for backup!?"

I looked away.

"No.."

"Why not! That's kind of important ya know!"

I looked back to Lux and balled my fist.

"It's because I'm the only one who can reach him right now. The others are far away. So even if I called, the chance of them coming is unrealistic. Plus, they wouldn't be trying to just stop Zack. They'd probably try to kill him.."

"Wait, just stop Zack?"

"Yeah, I'm the only one who can still reach him. He wants to put everything on this fight with me. So I'll let him, and I'll hear him. But I'm gonna make him hear me too."

Lux smiled and hugged me.

"You scared me earlier.." She mumbled.

I slowly wrapped my arms around her.

"What do you mean?"

"I thought Zack was just another Villian in your eyes..."

"No, he's my best friend Lux. I haven't given up on him. Even if he's given up on himself."

"Good, even after all of this. I still love that little idiot. So save him, Stryder." She hugged me tighter. "I believe in you.."

....

"Everything's in place. The bomb squad is working on Penelope's contraption. Donums officers are also in position, and we have a remote visual of the area." Leo explained through the phone.

"Good, do you see anything abnormal?" I asked.

"Not yet, but will keep you posted. Anything on your front?"