Chapter-17 A new challenger arrives

I sat back in my chair and stared anxiously at the clock. Our teacher ended class early for us today, and for the first time in my life. I wish I was learning something in math.

All the students in my class were buzzing about homecoming and their dates. Which for me, only hammered in the fact that Zack and Alexis were going together. I tried my hardest to just ignore it, but I couldn't. Not to mention I was starting to think about Annual again. I wasn't sure how I felt about her anymore. It was like a flood gate of emotions had been opened up, and I had no idea how to deal with any of it. I just, I hadn't seen Annual in years. I blocked off my mind from thinking about her, and now everything was flooding back. I sighed and leaned back in my chair. Trying to fill my head with literally anything else.

BBRRRINNNGG

Thankfully the bell awakened to save me from my thoughts. I quickly got out of my chair. But as soon as I did,my teacher rushed over and slammed her hand on my desk.

"We need to talk to Mr. Beowulf." She croaked.

My teacher Mrs. Bates was an older lady. She had short white curly hair. She was a bit on the short side, but that didn't make her any less intimidating. Her eyes, they looked like they could suck the soul right out of you (no wonder she's a math teacher.)

I gulped. "Y-yes, mam?"

But she didn't say a word. She just glared at me until everyone else was gone. Then she cleared her throat and began ripping me a new one.

Apparently, I had a low D that would drop to an F soon. And she was letting me know I needed to figure something out. Or else I'd be failing her class.

The sad part was, no one I knew could help me. Lux barely scraped by with a D in math, Zack paid people to do his homework. Alexis was an okay student, but she couldn't teach to save her life. And my social skills had much to be desired...I was always too nervous to ask someone in the class for help.

I walked outside staring at my report card. I was doing good in all my other classes, math was the only thing hurting me. Lux has already made it clear, I was going to college. And the likelihood of anyone paying for me to go was almost impossible. She got in at her university on a full-ride scholarship. I was not smart enough for all that. So I had no idea what I was gonna do. And a failing grade wasn't helping...

I looked up for a moment, and I saw some familiar faces still hanging around. It was Zack, Alexis, and Valentina. Zack was talking to Alexis, he had a nervous smile on as he was talking. Alexis however, seemed as happy as could be. Then there was the bored Valentina. I felt so bad for her, being a third wheel and all. I folded up my report card and slid it into my pocket. Then I jogged over to them.

"Ah! Stryder! My best friend! What's the haps? How's it going!" Zack called out as he quickly hopped over to me.

I was confused, but I pretended like it was normal.

"Hey guys, I just escaped the torture room known as algebra two." I chuckled slightly as Alexis was now glaring at Zack.

I felt like I was intruding on something...

"What took you so long to get out?" Valentina spoke up.

I could see she was much more perked up now.

"Well, I might...Possibly be failing math.." I mumbled.

"Pfft that all? I got a guy named Miguel, does homework for a dollar." Zack chimed in with a smirk.

He put his arm on my shoulder and leaned against me.

"What? No, I don't have a dollar to give!" I snapped back. "Besides that's not helping me learn, and it's dishonest."

"Blah, blah, blah. I bet you just gave your money to the needy again." I was quiet for a moment.

"T-that doesn't change what I said!" I huffed as Alexis chuckled.

"I could teach you Stryder." Valentina chimed in.

"Really? I can't pay you ya know?" I said softly as I looked over to her.