Chapter 84 - When in rome...

It was like I was being strangled. No matter how hard I tried to breathe, I could never catch enough air. The world was spinning and the sweat that rained down from my face stung my eyes. Just hold on to it, just hold on. I squeezed Ascalon, good I can still fight.

The ice clones were all scattered around me, preparing to strike. Focus Stryder, fo-

My stomach suddenly did a barrel roll, and I felt my breakfast come up. I stabbed Ascalon into the ground and I just vomited. My vision got blurry and the rough ground looked like it was multiplying. Push it, just keep pushing it. Rex's face came into mind, and I tried to push myself up from my blade.

I need to catch up, I need to be better. The world went black for a moment, and I stumbled back. I looked up and tried to lift my sword. There in front of me was Jack, with a soft smile on his face.

"That's enough for one day. Time for a dinner break." Jack hummed.

"N-no, I," I panted and leaned on my sword again. "I, I can keep going."

"Man, that's too bad, I wasn't asking."

Jack took a step forward and poked my forehead, and I stumbled. Don't fall! Don't fall! I tried to catch my footing but ultimately tripped. I closed my eyes and braced for impact, but I didn't get the impact I was expecting.

It was like I was shoved into a pool. I opened my eyes and saw an endless sea of blue. Panic started to set in, but once I took a staggered breath. I realized this was just Jack's ice. Slowly the grip that strangled my airways faded, and I could breathe again. A cold sensation flowed through my veins, and all the aching started to fade. Just when I started to relax, a blinding light consumed the area, and I felt fresh cold air nip at my skin as I was spat out.

I stumbled to my feet and quickly looked around. I saw hanging meat, packages of vegetables and sauces, plus a lot of boxes. We were in some kind of gigantic refrigerator.

"Here," Jack spoke up.

I turned toward him and he tossed me my hoodie.

"Thanks, where are we?" I asked.

"Italy."

I squinted my eyes at him.

"We're what?"

"Hhhmm? Did you need to heal longer? Head still scrambled?"

"No, I heard you! I just don't understand! Italy!? Like the country!?"

"Uh-huh, they've got the best pasta. Alfredo's your favorite right?" He asked and walked toward the freezer door.

"So like, you just teleport to Italy whenever you want pasta?"

"Uh-huh, pretty much." He replied. "Now hurry up and put your jacket on before they think your some hobo trying to steal their meat."

I looked down and noticed how destroyed my clothes looked. My shirt was barely hanging on to me. I put my jacket on and Jack opened the door.

We were greeted by a fully-staffed kitchen! The workers all turned toward us, and immediately eyed me. Jack waved and then they just went back to work. Then Jack nonchalantly strolled out of there and I followed his lead.

"Is this a gifted food place?" I asked.

"Nope! Just a bunch of chumps who made a deal they can't take back." He chuckled.

"What does that even mean.." I mumbled.

We walked back to some office, where we met a hefty-looking man. Jack whistled and the man's smile slowly turned to a frown. He gave Jack a nod, and Jack quickly strolled back into the restaurant. Taking me out to the actual sit-down part of it.