Chapter 37 - The rattling of chains

“So what you're telling me is we're living in an RPG?” Zack cheered 

“waell that’s one why of puttin ih.” Elizabeth hummed.

“Can we not talk about our lives like it’s some video game?” I huffed.

But if I was being honest that was probably the best way to explain it. I just, what the Goddess said, what I did. I don’t want to lose the value of ourselves, of our lives. It just felt wrong to me to treat this like a game.

“So what are the classes then?” Leo spoke up.

“Well, these aren’t anything official. Just some classifications I’ve made myself through the years I’ve been doing this.” Jack said.

“Years?” Isabella chimed in.

“WIll explain later,” Zack added.

“Anywho, from what I can tell the blue Goddesses. Still not too thrilled about calling them that. But their children are based on things. I deemed her the arch type class.”

“What does that even mean,” Zack grumbled.

“Well notice how Stryder can summon, has physical enhancements, and everything is specific toward knight type attributes. I’ve also noticed this with every other blue. There’s even one for jesters and rangers.”

“Alright, then what about me. I had the red Goddess!” Zack chimed.

“That’s the casting Goddess, my Goddess. Were all primarily focused on the magic arts” 

“And me?” Leo asked.

Jack snickered. 

“Your Goddess is the green one. The Goddess of the Animorph books.” 

Leo just growled in response.

I looked over to Isabella for a moment. I felt my heart race for a bit as I quickly looked away. 

“That must mean Oy'm a piryte ahch type!” Elizabeth cheered.

 I suddenly jumped hard as I felt a hand rest on my shoulder. I turned around and saw a very stern looking isabella.

“Mind if we have a chat?” She asked.

I quickly looked down and away from her. 

“S-sure, what about?”

She pointed to the other side of the boat and walked over to it. I watched her as she walked. My legs felt like lead, and my heart felt like it was gonna pop out of my chest.  She hated me, she had to. I bet she was gonna attack me, or go off on me. I deserved it anyway. I made her go through that. It was my fault. It’s always my fault.

I hesitantly followed her lead. And as soon as I got close again she flicked my forehead with some super strength.

“Ahh!” I yelped as I stumbled back. 

I reached up and rubbed my forehead, and she just sighed.

“Don’t tell me I got beat b a wimp.” She huffed. 

I looked up at her for a moment and quickly looked back down to the deck of the ship.

“Aren’t you supposed to be some kind of hero?”

I felt my heart sink as she asked that. I bit my lip and balled my fist.

“I’m sor-”

She snagged my shirt collar and forced me to look up into her red glaring red eyes.

“How can you call yourself a hero when you’re looking down like that huh? Aren’t superheroes supposed  to smile against all the odds?”

“How can I smile after what I did to you!?” I yelled back. I reached up and grabbed her wrist. “How can I smile when all I do is hurt, people!? How am I supposed to keep going knowing every step I make is just a bigger mistake waiting to happen!?”