Chapter 7 - I gain a blessing

I stared into the grey abyss, wondering if the clouds would magically give me some kind of answer. Maybe give me a reason to stand. But all it did was loom over me, reminding me just how small I really was.

Soon the sky had sparkles in it. I stared at the shining stars in the cloudy sky, and watched them descend down. That must've been snow. I felt this static against my finger tips. My whole body woke up. My eyes were focused on a single snowflake. I don't know why, I was connected to it. The closer it got to the ground, the more clear it became. Those lights weren't snow, or stars. It was a silver card.

I reached my hand out to it, and as the card tapped my palm a blinding light filled my eyes. But it was only for a second. The light suddenly vanished, and I was left with the card in my hand. But now it had the word 'Knight' burned into it with cursive writing.

"Again with knight.." I mumbled.

Then, I saw something blue zoom past me. I turned to where it went, but nothing was there. I caught the same blue light from out of the corner of my eye. I turned toward it and I was speechless. There was a horde of blue lights swarming around. They swirled around me like a tornado, until I could see nothing but blue. Which soon turned into a dark and hazy scene. There was an ominous purple light coming from the sky, and scattered dark apparitions appeared around me. All seemingly in a panic. I knew I should be freaked out by this, but I felt an odd sense of peace. I had no idea why.

The temperature slowly started to rise, and I tried to stay away from the figures. That's when a rainbow flash appeared in front of me. In the light's place, stood twelve giants! They all looked the same, but with different colors. They all had long flowing hair, and long elegant dresses. Which shined in their respective colors. The red giant moved forward, and started to talk.

"Everyone, may I have your attention." The one with a red dress stopped and the one in the blue took over.

"You may call us whatever you like—gods, goddesses..."

Another one picked up from the last giant, and they all continued to talk like this. Taking up for one another.

"Witches, monsters, demons, etcetera," the other said.

"We're not even entirely sure what we are.''

"What matters is your purpose here."

"We have grown bored and wish to play a game."

"We have chosen each of you specifically to participate in our game."

"And shall grant you all imperiums."

"You are free to do as you please with these imperiums."

"Also, if you entertain us enough."

"Or defeat another player."

"You may grow in power and be given upgrades."

My mind was racing, Impuriums? Upgrades? And now goddesses...what the heck was happening? Maybe I was dreaming, had I become so stressed that I started to hallucinate?

"Now there are rules to this game."

"One, you are not allowed to tell anyone about us except the other players. Lies and other excuses are allowed."

"Two, if you kill another player to gain an upgrade, said player shall be revived unless that child's owner says otherwise."

"Three, we are not allowed to see future events."

"To check your skills, focus and your card, and it shall appear in your hand. It grows as your skills grow."

"We also have enhanced your body's natural durability and physical fitness."

"Now have fun, our children, with our gifts."

A blinding light shined from behind the goddesses and started to consume the area. I looked around at the shadowy figures, and I was shocked. Zack stood there staring back at me. We didn't say a word, we just stared at one another till the light consumed us all. And I was suddenly back in my dingy apartment.

I blinked a few times and rubbed my eyes, making sure they weren't playing tricks on me. I pinched my arm and felt a sharp pain shooting through it. "Guess it wasn't a dream..."