Chapter 101 - I am Leo

- Leo's perspective-

"This isn't right! How can he say those things!?" Wiz complained.

While Penelope just held onto me like a lost child. It was weird how they were reacting to this. It wasn't like they knew Zack all that long, maybe a few weeks at most. So why were they so upset? Especially Wiz... I removed my arm from Penelope and glanced around the alleyway. This place was empty enough. I walked over to the wall and leaned against it, then plopped down to the floor. Then Penelope plopped down next to me.

"Hey, level with me. What was Zack to you?" I asked. Then I looked at Penelope. " And to you."

"He was my friend! My Magica brother! He's the only one who understood Magica! Who could see it!" Wiz yelled and balled his fists.

This Magica he's always going on about...

"Wiz, I don't understand what the hell that means. I've never understood for one second what that meant. So explain it to me." I asked.

He blinked a few times, his fist unclenching and his rage flickered away. He held out his hand and a purple spark appeared. Then a purple flame erupted to life.

"Magica." He said softly.

"So, what? Do you mean our powers?"

"Don't you feel it? When you breathe fire? For a moment, don't you just feel complete?" He asked.

"It's nothing more than a weapon, something I use to fight. Like a gun. So no, I don't get what you're saying." I replied.

He grumbled and closed his hand!

"No! No! No! That's not Magica at all!" He whined.

I wanted to hit him...

"So what is it!? Do you even understand it!?"

"Magica is you! Like when a bird flies! Or fish swim! Or when popcorn pops!"

"That's a wide range of things with no specifics you idiot! What am I supposed to understand!?"

"I think I get it." Penelope mumbled.

"Yeah! Magica is in Pen Pen!" Wiz cheered.

I really, REALLY want to hit him...

"Then you explain it." I grumbled.

Penelope let her legs slide down and she tapped her toes together.

"Well, when I use my tech, it just feels like. I'm whole ya know? Like this was always what I was meant to be. An expression of my true self." She said and reached into her pocket, then pulled her cellphone out. "Doesn't it just feel natural when you're breathing fire? Or flying?"

I groaned and leaned my head back.

"My gift is nothing but a tool. Something to get the job done." I replied.

"That's the problem! You and Stryder don't see it! Magica isn't just a tool! It's life! It's us! Even the pasta man knew Magica! You can see it when he cooks!" Wiz yelled and stepped back.

"What!? Are you telling me to accept being a monster!? Are you telling me I need to embrace being a fire breathing beast!?" I yelled.

"You need to embrace your Magica!" He yelled back. "I'll show you! I'll find Zack and it'll all make sense! He understands!"

He went into his hat and pulled out a bunny. Penelope started to yell for him to come back. But I didn't move. Maybe I should just lie and say I get it. I tried to open my mouth, but I couldn't. The image of my father came into my mind, and I didn't move.