Chapter 27 - Breaking chains

"Have fun with your boyfriend!" Valentinas little cousin yelled out to us.

Right before he skipped out the door.

I could see Valentina's cheeks slowly flush a bright shade of pink.

"S-shut up you twerp!" She roared back.

It was like looking into another dimension. The usually composed and calm student council president. The girl whose rumored to have a perfect GPA, and has colleges from all over scouting her. Spent half of the entire time I was here arguing with an eleven year old.

We were supposed to be doing math. But she stopped every other question to yell some almost non-PG threats back at her little cousin. Who clearly knew how to crawl under her skin just right. I kind of just watched for a bit. I admit, she looked really cute when she was frustrated. It was like looking at a grumpy kitten.

"Maybe a break will do us some good?" I suggested.

She was growling slightly now as she glared at the door. She was wearing some batman pajama pants, and a white T-shirt. Clearly in her nicest Saturday morning wear.

"I suppose, are you hungry by chance?" She grumbled.

"I could eat." I chimed.

She got up from the couch and walked over to the kitchen. I stood up and stretched. I'd rather be fighting Rex right now then doing math...

"Ever had chicken pancit before?" She asked.

"Never heard of it. My diet usually consists of ramen, peanut butter and jelly, and hotdogs."

"What!? That's so unhealthy!"

"On special occasions when one of Lux's good friends stays over to study. I am graced with cold pizza."

"Can you not afford vegetables? They don't cost that much."

"Well that's true. However none of us know how to cook. My mom used to be the cook. And Lux practically made Frankenstein last time she cooked".

"Oh I see. Does your mother just not like to cook anymore?" She asked.

She was busy making us a plate from a pan on the stove. Her cousin was eating away at that before he left.

"Well, she passed when I was young. So I didn't really get a chance to learn a lot from her."

It was odd. I usually danced around the question. Or I'd feel my heart begin to race a mile a minute. But it just came out so smoothly...

"Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to bring that up!"

She looked up from the plates and gave me a sympathetic look. Her amber eyes seem so genuine. I just smiled and shook my head.

"Don't worry about it really. It's fine, you couldn't have known."

I walked over to the island table that separates the kitchen from the living room. It was odd. Her house seemed only a tad bit bigger than ours. I heard her cousin complain about how he and his uncle had to share a room because of Valentina. I guess the bright colors and actually furnished place made it seem like it had more to offer. Her walls were a bright orange color. They had this retro type of style with their furniture. I kinda liked it.

"Well, if it makes you feel not alone. My mom's not around anymore either." She replied softly.

My eyes widened in surprise, and her gaze left mine.

"Well, I really appreciate the vulnerability. I'm sorry if I brought up some old scars."

"N-no it's fine really! I never really got a chance to meet her. So it's not like you brought up anything."