Chapter-15 Storytime with Stryder

After we got the ice cream we decided to head up to the roof. I usually scaled the building to get up to the top. I don't know why, but I love freerunning. I was a bit of an adrenaline junkie, roller coasters, go-karts, etc. Zack was the one who originally got me started on parkour and freerunning (I thought it was suicide.). But after some practice, I loved the feeling of the wind in my face. Zack, however, gave up on it rather quickly after an incident. We were rooftop hoping one day for practice, and he tripped over a ledge. I barely caught him from plummeting to the ground. I only had him by his ankle, safe to say he never climbed again. He even looks at jungle Jims crossed eyed now.

I was climbing up on the drainpipe like I usually did. I don't know what Zack does to get up there anymore, nor did I really question him. As I made my way to the top, I saw Zack sitting on the ledge waiting for me. The first time in a long time, he beat me up here.

"Hurry up grandma! The ice cream's gonna melt!" He hollered.

I sighed in annoyance and mocked his yelling with my hand as I walked over to him. I sat next to him on the ledge, overlooking the city below.

"Alright, you can start eating now," I said as Zack's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.

"Sweet!" Zack cheered as he popped open the box of Blueberry Popsicles.

He took two out and practically ate them and the wrappers. I snatched the box from him, fearing he'd eat the whole thing if I didn't stop him.

"Ahh!" Suddenly Zack yelped as he cringed hard, grabbing his head like it was about to explode. "Brain freeze!" He started wailing as he flailed around, almost knocking me and himself over the edge.

"Are you trying to kill us, you idiot!" I yelled at him in a panic.

I held onto the edge with an iron grip. I noticed Zack tipping over, and I pulled him back on the ledge, steadying him again on it. I could see him staring down at the streets below, with the fear of God in his eyes.

"Holy crap!" He yelped, as he practically leaped from the ledge (almost knocking me over) back onto the rooftop.

"Calm down you nimrod! You're gonna knock me over!" I barked at him, as I steadied myself again.

After a bit of Zack's panicked wheezing, things became calm again. I took out a popsicle and looked out at the city below me. I had a perfect view of the park. I could feel the wind pick up as a breeze danced through the trees below. The setting sun painting the sky with shades of red, orange, and yellow. It was absolutely breathtaking. I slowly ate my blueberry popsicle with a smile etched on my face. Memories of the first time me and Zack had these popsicles, started flooding back into my mind.

I remember it was a scorching summer, and me and Zack were playing tag in my backyard. Zack had been it for forever, he was just so slow. I had let him tag me a few times, just because I felt so bad for him. My mom had come outside with Lux brandishing a box of Blueberry Popsicle.

Zack ended up ditching tag altogether and went to shower Lux in his 'love.' My mom walked over and gave me the box, I immediately ran under the tree in the back and started eating some. A little later Zack joined me under there, both of us destroying the box in an instant. We both stayed under that tree for a little after that, feeling way too fat to run around anymore. I remember looking over and seeing Zack, knocked out with his head on my shoulder and ice cream all over his face. I smiled and relaxed, following his lead and going to sleep too. It was crazy, imagining how different things were for us now. No more tree, no more mom, yet we kept this tradition intact. We kept moving forward, even when she isn't here.

"Hey, earth to Stryder, you okay man? You're eating your ice cream like it's your last meal or something." Zack questioned, looking rather concerned.

But that look lost its value when I noticed a familiar blue stain on his face.

"Yeah, I'm just remembering stuff." I chuckled some looking at him and sighing. "Anyways, let me tell you about last night."

As I told Zack about it, he seemed to get super excited. I swear I could see his eyes twinkle as I looked at him, which made me laugh.

"Dude you're freaking awesome! Personally I would have roasted the guy's nuts. But I guess scaring the piss out of them and knocking them is enough! Why did you let the other go though? They're gonna be looking for you now." Zack had that look of concern on his face again as he said that last part, but I just smiled.

"That's the point. I want them to focus their attention on me. If they start seeking me out, I can take them out much faster. Plus we took out their leader, so they're disorganized as well. Making sloppy movements, plans, and overall easy pickings. But one attack isn't gonna fully get their attention" I paused for a moment taking a bite of my ice cream.

Zack stared at me with a small but content smile on his face.

"Man! This is really happening, although I'm not surprised, knowing you after all. But you're not the only one here who has a goal to fulfill." He replied softly.

He was looking down at the ground, folding his hands together. His demeanor completely changed, he had that rare serious look on his face. It threw me off looking at him.

"It's for Annual, isn't it?" I asked softly, looking down on the now almost vanished sun.

The mood had completely changed.

The once warming sunset was beginning to fade. Leaving behind it a cooler shade that announced the night. I almost forgot how much Zack held in. Hiding all his pain behind that mischievous attitude and smile. He always hid behind that mask, and I was always the one to pull it off. We were both in the same boat here, we couldn't afford to be slacking. We didn't say anything for a bit as we watched the sun, slowly vanishing from our sights.

"I will get stronger, and I will find a cure for her. No matter what it takes me Stryder. I will be her hero." Zack said firmly, tightening his grip on his hand.

I was proud to hear him say something so noble. All my life I've never seen him have any real ambitions or goals. The conviction in his voice was enough to convince me, he was serious.

"I'll do whatever it takes to help you. This is something we must, no, we will do." I looked over to him, and he looked back at me.

"We'll always have each other's backs, no matter what. So I guess from time and time again I'll help take out the trash. Besides, I think chicks dig superheroes too. Oh yeah, I am gonna be rolling in babes." Zack snickered, putting his hands behind his head.

I laughed.

"So I'm going again tonight and every night after that. I know a few spots to go to, so are you in?" I asked looking over to him in his eyes.

"I already told you, man, I'm gonna be a hero!" He replied smiling like a dufus.

He held up his fist to me and I smiled holding up mine. We fist-bumped and I could just tell that things were gonna change for us. This was truly the beginning.