Chapter 6: Moonlight

A couple weeks rolled by and the full moon was approaching fast, as they reached the day before Nell could barely drag herself out of bed to join her friends at breakfast. She wanted nothing more than to stay in bed all day, give in to her exhaustion, but she knew she shouldn't and also didn't want to fall behind in any of her lessons. Her had been slightly darker than usual over the past few days, another sign of the upcoming moon.

She drooped over her plate of toast, her head resting in one of her hands as she fought to keep her eyes open. Hermione, who sat opposite the girl, noticed her exhaustion, "Are you alright Nell?"

She hummed in response, not bothering to look back at her friend. As her eyes grew heavier and the sound of the great hall began to fade away her head slipped from her palm and was about to meet the table until Harry, who sat beside her, propped her up with his arm. He continued to eat his pancakes as he let his friend sleep on his shoulder, he was used to handling her around the full moon, "Let her sleep, she needs it.".

Him, Hermione and Ron finished their breakfast as Nell snored softly beside him. He shook her gently, "Nell, are you sure you don't want to go back to bed?"

Her head shot up as she opened her eyes wide, "Hmm? Oh, no I'm fine, let's just go. We've got charms first right?" She stood up with the rest of the group, picking her books up from beneath her, clearly still fighting the urge to sleep.

Ron and Hermione shared a look. "Are you sure you're okay? We can take notes for you, or at least Hermione can, don't reckon you'd want mine."

"Honestly Ron I'm fine, okay? Just drop it." She snapped.

The two them fell silent, shocked at the hostility shown by their friend. Whereas Harry didn't take much notice, he knew what she was dealing with. Nell noticed as their faces fell and realised what she had just said. She hadn't meant it, she just got like this around the full moon.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. I really am just tired I promise, thanks though." She gave them a weak smile which they happily returned.

"I don't blame you after that 8 inch essay Snape set last night." The four friends laughed, all tension melting away as they headed to their first lesson of the day.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

The morning of the full moon arrived. It was a Saturday meaning there were no classes and Nell could stay in bed until the evening like she so desperately wanted. Hermione checked on her a couple times, asking if she wanted to join the others in the common room, but other than that she got a good few hours of uninterrupted rest, to prepare her for the night ahead.

As the sky faded, the girl finally emerged from her dorm to join her friends for dinner, wanting to eat something before the transformation. She filled her plate and enjoyed the meal with the others, trying to keep her mind off what she had to come.

"So you're feeling better I guess?" Hermione laughed at her friend who had stuffed her mouth full with a piece of chocolate cake.

"Much better." She lied, but Ron and Hermione didn't know about her condition yet, and she didn't want them getting suspicious if she got mysteriously ill every month. She realised next month she'd probably have to work harder to hide it, otherwise there's no way someone wouldn't catch on, especially someone as smart as Hermione.

She watched as the hand reach the seventh hour mark on the clock and realised it was probably time for her leave. "I think I'm going to go to the hospital wing, just to see if Madam Pomfrey has anything to help kick the last bit of this cold."

She stood up from her place beside Ron, "I'll see you guys later." Harry gave her a sympathetic smile and mouthed 'Be safe' before she turned to leave the hall.