Chapter 26: Familar Places

A loud creaking sounding beneath her, the girl looked down to find herself at the base of a rotting wooden staircase. Her foot teased the first step as her hand grazed the banister and she considered venturing upwards. Whispers sounded from the top of the staircase, luring the girl forwards as her shaking hand rested against the wall in an attempt to steady herself.

A familiar weakness ached in her knees as she climbed higher and higher into the darkness above and the aggressive sound of hushed voices grew. Some sort of unwanted force carried the girl forwards whilst every part of her body screamed at her to turn around, but to no avail. She was entirely out of control. Her breath hitched as something brushed against her leg and the sight of giant snake sent her flying against the wall. Holding her breath and squeezing her eyes closed she awaited the worst.

Despite her fears, the creature didn't seem to take any notice of her and continued to slither up the staircase. But not before twisting its head to look her dead in the eyes. It's beady slits burned into her swirling grey orbs, as if it was warning and encouraging her at the same time.

Still locked in her trance she soon found herself on the final step and only a few feet away from the source of the voices.

"It seems our guest of honour has finally decided to join us." A cold voice hissed out sending chill's down her spine and her heartbeat into overdrive. Although it felt like her heart came to an ultimate stop as the door at the top of the stairs creaked open further, revealing those hideously familiar red eyes.

"Avada ke-"

And the darkness swallowed her whole.

"Pup, it's time to wake up." Sirius sat down on the edge of Nell's bed and gently shook his sleeping daughter.

"Mhm." She drowsily peeked open one eye before squeezing them both shut again and rolling to the other side of the bed. He leant over and gently shook her again only for her to pull the covers tighter over her body. After the night she just had, there was no way she'd be getting up without a fight. She could still feel the coldness of her dream coursing through her veins, clouding her mind with darkness.

As she felt his weight lift off of the bed beside her, Nell began to relax back into a gentle slumber before a slobbery wet feeling ran across her cheek. Groaning and opening her eyes, she was met with Padfoot stood at the side of her bed, panting with his tongue hanging out cheekily. Her worries eased considerably at the sight.

In an attempt to ignore him for more sleep, she rolled over again, back to the other side of the bed. Barely a moment passed before the shaggy black dog leapt on top of her, repeatedly licking her face. Nell couldn't help but laugh as the dog nudged it's head against her before licking her cheek again.

"Padfoot get off!" She said, trying to sound stern despite her giggling.

"Stop!" She managed get out between her growing laughter as the two rolled around on the bed. As a final resort, Padfoot grabbed the corner of her duvet in his mouth and leaped off of the bed, dragging it with him.

"Now I'm cold." She pouted as the dog stood staring at her with the blanket still hanging out of his mouth.

"5 more minutes?" She pleaded, with her bottom lip pushed out and her eyes wide and glassy. Padfoot whined, clearly trying to resist her puppy dog eyes but this only made her pout more. Finally giving in, the dog jumped back onto the bed and pulled the blanket over them. Nell flopped back down onto her pillow and Padfoot quickly curled up beside her. Nestled against the warmth of Padfoot, her breathing soon slowed as she drifted to a desperately needed dreamless sleep. About ten minutes had passed before a second set of footsteps came up the stairs and into the room.