Chapter 49: Invited

Nell couldn't help but feel like this school year had been the faster one yet, seeing as the nightmare that was the Triwizard tournament felt like it had only began yesterday and now here they were sat on the train home for Easter. She would say 'time flies when you're having fun' but from what she had experienced of the competition so far, there was nothing fun about it.

Immersed deeply in her own thoughts, the girl looked out the at the passing greenery as the three beside her fell into lighthearted conversation with Nell catching the odd snippet. She found her eyes focusing out as they watched the rolling hills, melting into each other as the train whirled through the sea of green. But she didn't notice, how as Ron and Hermione deepened their now heated debate about how pumpkin juice was made, Harry somehow found himself quietly observing the girl beside him.

Normally, the boy would've scolded himself for this and quickly looked away, but there was something so peaceful, so entrancing just watching her eyes flicker over the scenery. Her body heaving and falling with gentle breaths as her blinks grew heavier whilst the train lulled on. Her hair perfectly framing the-

Click

The annoyingly perfect face of Cedric Diggory interrupted his train of thought as the hufflepuff boy slid open the compartment door, awkwardly poking his head in.

"Could I talk to you for a second?" He asked, looking to Nell who had turned round to door at his entrance.

"Yeah sure" she nodded, hopping up from her seat before turning back to the others, "I'll be right back"

Hermione winked at her suggestively, making Nell roll her eyes at her friends immaturity yet also distracting her from the way Harry's face fell visibly at Cedric's arrival. Stepping out of the compartment after him, Nell shut the door behind her as the two of them moved slightly down the corridor. She could feel her heart beating rapidly in her chest as she followed him to a secluded end of the train hallway.

"Everything okay?" She asked, now slightly concerned as she noticed him shuffling from foot to foot. If she didn't know better she would've said he looked almost nervous.

"Yeah yeah, I just um, I'm throwing a party over Easter and I was just wondering if you'd like to come" he asked, scratching the back of his neck with a shrug.

"Aw couldn't bear spending the entire holiday without seeing me? I didn't realise you were so sentimental Ced." Nell teased with a playful nudge of his shoulder making the older boy scowl.

"Shut up. Do you wanna come or not?" He grumbled as she laughed.

"Let me ask my parents and consider me there" she said through her giggles as his grumpy demeaned almost immediately vanished with her response.

"Great" he grinned boyishly "your friends are welcome too" he added as she turned back towards her compartment.

"I'll let them know" Nell beamed, almost making the boy's heart turn to a puddle in his chest before she slipped back through the door, disappearing from sight.

"What was that about?" Ron asked as Nell plopped back down next to Harry, who had barely even acknowledged her presence and had taken her place staring out the window.

"We've been invited to a party" she grinned as Ron and Hermione's eyes widened in curiosity.

"We have?" Ron quirked his brow, yet the excitement was evident in his voice. Whenever there was a party at school, for example the many Gryffindor victory parties after Quidditch matches, the boy was always eager to join in. Well they all were, to McGonagall's annoyance.

"Yep, at Cedric's" Nell explained, not noticing Harry's uncharacteristic quietness, but the same couldn't be said for Hermione who had been watching the boy closely from the moment Cedric had interrupted them.