22. The White Knee Pad

"Tooru?"
You asked as you walked into the backyard. Confused as to why the bouncing of the ball had stopped so suddenly.

"Toooooru?" You sang as you looked around. Not catching sight of his dark brown hair anywhere.

You walked by some of the decorations on the side and turned towards the concrete area you normally used as a court. "Tooru?" You asked as you peaked your head, seeing Tooru sitting on the floor.

You skipped over to him. "Why are you on the floor?"

He shrugged as he moved to get up, slightly flinching when he put weight on his right knee.
"Can you pass me the ball, little bunny?" You hummed as you turned away, not seeing as Tooru scrunched his face when fully standing up.

"Here ToO-" you stopped mid sentence, looking at him standing in front of you. "You're crying."

Tooru looked at you with a bewildered expression before moving his hands up to his face, wiping of the tears he hadn't realized he was shedding.

You looked him over, trying to see if anything was wrong. When your eyes landed on his right knee, it wasn't bleeding or anything of the sort but it was obvious his bone had jumped out of its socket, now sticking out to the side.

"MAMMA!" You yelled as you dropped the ball, beginning to run back into the house. "Wait. No little bunny!"

"MAMMA!"
"Y/N!" He tried to stop you, but you were already gone.

He sighed as he looked down at his knee, the bone popping out becoming more obvious when he was standing. He didn't get much of a chance to look at it before your mother and father came rushing out, carrying him to the car to take him to the nearest hospital.

__________________

"And you just let him?!" Hajime yelled through the phone as he panted from running.

"How was I supposed to know this would happen Hajime!" You yelled back, receiving stares from people leaving and exiting the hospital.

"I've always told you two to NOT overwork yourselves!"
"He was literally JUST STARTING." You yelled back, remembering how Tooru ate before going outside to practice some more. No more than ten minutes went by when you had gone out to check on him.

Hajime clicked his tongue before you hung up, seeing him in the distance. You turned away and started walking back into the hospital, Hajime catching up to you at the front doors.
You led him up to the room Tooru was at, maneuvering yourself by the crowded hallways.

"He's inside." You sighed as you stopped outside his room. Turning to walk away so he wouldn't have the chance to say anything.

You send a quick text to the family group chat telling them they called for you at Shiratorizawa so you were heading back. You waited for their okay at the lobby before stepping out back onto the gardens. Taking in the air as you convinced yourself that Tooru was okay.

The doctor had already said so anyways, he'd just need to take a leave from volleyball for about two months for his bone to move back to its original place. After that he'd have to ease back into volleyball, making sure not to overexert himself.

He'd also have to wear a knee brace every time he plays.

You sighed as you sat on one of the benches outside, not getting much time to collect your thoughts before a voice called your name.

Darn me for being so popular

You grumbled to yourself before turning to look up at the owner of the voice, face softening when you made eye contact with Tobio.