95. Kanari

"Okay ladies, we're starting with scrimmages of twos. Same pairs as before, get together with your assigned roommates."

You smiled, high-fiving Minegishi as you got in line to wait your turn on your respective court.

It was similar to the "king" scrimmages you had played before, a type of knockout where the pair who wins keeps playing.

You stood at the sidelines, observing the other pairs pass by and the kings come and go.

Up until it was Minegishi and your turn.

Against the one and only Hayashi Emiko.

You both stepped back into receiving position, getting into the mood as the coach blew her whistle, Hayashi serving the ball over.

Minegishi stepped to the side, receiving the ball with a small huff as you ran up under it.

You glanced at Minegishi, watching her nod as she ran up at an angle, jumping up seconds before you as you set the ball to her in a quick.

She spiked the ball down forcing Hayashi to dive for it given that she was placed in a way to receive a cross shot.

She dove, missing the ball as she watched it roll away.

The rest of the girls looked at it roll away, glancing back at the two of you when you cheered.

"I thought she was going in for a cross." Ozawa whispered to the girls.

Yasuda and Yonamine nodded as Kano spoke up. "We all did."

You breathed in, throwing the ball up as you observed it for a small second before running up after it.

You jumped up, puffing your cheeks as you slammed your hand against the ball at your fullest strength, a loud thud following after it.

"Out!" Hayashi called out, both of them looking back at the end line before everyone looked up at the screen above.

The screen showed the plays on the court seconds delayed.

You all looked at the serve in repeat, watching the ball fall just centimeters in front of the end line.

"In." Coach Horie declared, Hayashi immediately turning back to glare at you as you freaked out with Minegishi.
"Ain't no way!" You cheered, jumping up to hug her as she jumped with you, both of you standing back when you remembered you were still in the middle of a match.

You stepped back to serve again, waiting for the whistle as you served it over right at the whistle.

Hayashi's roommate bumped it up shakily, Hayashi quick to follow up as she jumped up.

You saw her roommate hesitate before jumping up, Minegishi quicker to jump up.

Hayashi spiked the ball down, hitting it straight into Minegishi's hands and redirecting back to the floor.

You cheered, double high-fiving Minegishi as you glanced at Hayashi's roommate glare at her, mumbling words inaudible to you both.

Hayashi rolled her eyes, following her off the court before looking back when Minegishi called out to her.

"Better luck next time Kakashi-san~"

You puffed out a small laugh as you duck under the net to walk to the other side.

Hayashi glared at her. "It's Hayashi."

Minegishi hummed, ignoring her as she instead smiled at Ozawa and Yasuda walking up.

"That was merciless." The assistant coach murmured to the head coach. Coach Horie only nodding along with a small smile.

"I wonder which one of the two they pissed off."