48. New Year

"Ah-"

You sighed, swinging your feet back and forth as you looked at the sunrise with your family. "It's pretty."

Tooru hummed, reaching towards your blanket to pull it up so that you were better tucked in before tucking himself back in.

You stayed like that for a while, watching the sunrise in silence until it was fully out, it's light and warmth radiating over the streets of Hyogo.

"Come on, let's get ready for the hatsumode." Your mother hummed, standing up as she ushered all of you up.

You stood up with a sigh, following Tooru inside the house. You split to go to your room and quickly changed into something warm and practical, exiting your room with a yawn as you entered the kitchen.

You kissed your grandmother good morning before sitting down to wait for your family to finish changing.

They finished quickly, so you soon found yourself bunched up in the far backseat of Mrs. Miya's car, struggling to stay awake as you sat next to Osamu.

You inevitably failed, being woken up once you arrived at the shrine by Osamu and the snapping off a picture.

You blinked away the drowsiness as you looked at Tooru standing outside the car, the seat pushed back as he snickered with his phone up.

You glared at him, stepping out as Osamu and Atsumu followed after you.

You yawned once more, stretching with a small whine as you looked around.

"Let's go."

You hummed, following after your grandmother up to the shrine, bickering with Atsumu as you waited in line.

Luckily, the line wasn't excruciatingly long thanks to the early time you had gotten there.

You stepped up to the shrine and made your prayers before following Tooru towards the omikuji section of the shrine.

You pulled a numbered slot from a container and took the paper fortune matching in number before stepping aside and waiting for the others to finish.

Your parents paid off the fortunes as they joined you on standing to the side, the Miya's joining soon after.

You opened your fortune, blinking as you looked at the bland fortune you had found yourself pulling the past couple of years.

"What'd you get?"

You looked up at Tooru, humming in response.

"Same as last year." You flipped the paper fortune around, showing it to him. "Good luck."

He hummed, flipping his for you to read. "Bad luck."

You snickered, narrowing your eyes as you gave him a cat-like grin. He clicked his tongue, about to tell you off before Atsumu's whines cut him off.

"No fair 'Samu! Switch with me!"

"That's not how it works, 'Tsumu."

You snickered with Tooru, stepping up to them as you questioned Atsumu. "What fortune did you get?"

Atsumu pouted, extending his fortune as you and Tooru read it. "Great bad luck."

You giggled, patting Atsumu's head as Tooru snickered with Osamu. "My condolences."

"Shattap."

You giggled more, turning towards Osamu as you glanced at his fortune. He flipped it, showing you his fortune as you hummed. "Great good luck, nice Sam-sam." You gave him a thumbs up, giggling further when Atsumu started whining again.