56. Wanaka

"How do you handle a loss?"

It's a question a couple of your friends have asked you before, given that they'd rarely seen you show any negative emotion.

No one had truly seen you at your lowest low, apart from Tooru. Your family and Iwaizumi had seen you sad, or mad, but never to the extent Tooru had.

It was the same vice versa, no one apart from you has ever seen Tooru at his lowest low.

After all, the both of you had been handling loss together since you were young.

Be it the loss of something small like finals or a precious toy, to bigger more impactful losses like the passings of your grandfather's.

Your brother was there when you felt like you weren't worth being called the ace and when you felt like your existence was meaningless and held no importance. He was there when you felt overwhelmed, he laid next to you and consoled you when your tears wouldn't let you sleep.

He's always been there, for losses small and big alike. He's a constant in your life you never found yourself lacking.

So his absence hit harder than it should've, especially when your emotions were threatening to get the better of you.

...

Shiratorizawa v Wanaka 1-0

23-24

You groaned, kneeling before fully standing up at your failed dive.

"Next one, Oika-chan. Don't mind!"

You hummed, moving back to your spot as you crouched into recieving position.

The whistle blew, the server across the court bouncing the ball a couple times before holding it up.

She breathed in, throwing the ball up before following after it. She spiked it across the court in a jump floater straight at Goto, visibly clicking her tongue when Goto received it with ease.

Nakamoto shifted under it, the rest of you immediately running up.

Nakamoto jumped up, setting it to Okada as she puffed her cheeks.

It all happened in a flash.

Okada spiking the ball down with a low groan in the back.

Wanaka's libero picked it up as their setter moved under it, setting it in a quick to their middle blocker. The middle blocker shot a straight down against Osaki, hitting in court.

Though instead of you and your teammates being concerned over Wanaka taking the second set, you found yourself calling Nakamoto's name.

"Yuri-san!" You yelled, desperation, concern, and fear etched in your words and features as you looked at her laying on the ground.

Flashbacks of the time you found Tooru outside after popping out his knee flashing through your head.

Nakamoto sat on the floor as she groaned, clutching her knee as a familiar bump peeked from the side.

In your teammate's distraction, you ran to her side, not registering the words you were saying until Nakayama came up to the both of you, forcing you out of your trance as she raised her voice. "OIKAWA. Snap out of it and help me get her up."

You nodded, grabbing her arm and setting it over your shoulder, kneeling as you counted to three before standing up with her.

Managers and medical personnel were around you in seconds, Nakamoto not shedding a single tear as you and Nakayama helped walk her off court. Your teammates gave you space as what felt like the entire gymnasium's eyes were glued on your team.