45. Engawa

"Oi, come inside. It's cold."

Tooru called out to you, hiding behind the sliding door from the worsening weather.

You ignored him, pulling your knees in closer to your chest as you looked across the backyard. Moonlight reflecting off the pond a couple steps away and lighting up a quarter of your face. The quarter which Tooru could see from where he stood.

He sighed, stepping back in and closing the door behind him.

How long have you been out there?

He was at Hanamaki's house during the afternoon, so he didn't know when you first sat out there. Though from what Fumiko had told him, you had been sitting there since afternoon. Your Shiratorizawa friends had come to drop you off. You stepped in, smiling and waving at them goodbye, you greeted your family but when your eyes landed on a picture set up on one of the walls, your smile faltered, and later erased itself from your face completely.

You stepped out to the engawa, settling down near the edge as you looked at the scenery before you.

What picture had made your mood drop?

Tooru stepped out onto the engawa.

He draped a blanket over your ice cold form, tucking it in under your chin and arms to keep it in place, before sitting down and wrapping himself in his own blanket.

He waited for heat to make its way back into your body before asking a single question.

A question he knew could be taken in different contexts, and has tens of answers.

"How's it been?"

You jumped up, arm cranked back as Mori jumped up to block.

You puffed your cheeks, focusing a little extra on your timing as you swung your left hand forward, spiking the ball successfully, and at a decent amount of strength.

Though not fully successful, Mori got a hand on it. You started falling, watching the ball waterfall down between Mori and the net, earning yourself a point.

You landed, mouth agape as Mori mindlessly looked down at the ball roll away from her.

"NICE Y/N-CHAN!" Nakamoto cheered, engulfing you in her hug as you held onto her to not fall backwards.

"Nice kill."

You looked up, meeting Mori's eye as she gave you a thumbs up, a small smile painting her face.

"Good. I made a point with my left hand spike the other day."

Tooru hummed, garnering your attention when he took his hands out the blanket he had hid in. One hand had a bag of candy, candy which you recognized as jelly fruit sticks, the same jelly fruit sticks which Suna had mailed for you a couple days back.

You shrieked, snatching the bag of the remaining jelly sticks away from him and glaring at him instead.

He narrowed his eyes, cocking a brow when you hid the jelly sticks away defensively.

"Share."

"No."

"Look." He sighed, carding a hand through his locks as he narrowed his eyes at you. "I know you're like heartbroken or whatever, but that doesn't mean you can't share jelly sticks. Now give it over."