Thirty Nine

Adrian seems better today than he has been the last few days... His omelet eaten without hesitation, his vitamins swallowed with glee... The sight of him all curled up on his picnic blanket watching us as he reads and rests blessing my soul and bringing me a calmness that my soul always so desperately craves...

It had been hard to leave him after settling him down... The beautiful way he had batted his full lashes at me after accepting my parting kisses nearly having made the entire world stop turning... The grin on Liam's face when I finally made my way back over here making the heat that had rushed to my face as Addy tucked a few of his curls behind his ear last that much longer... The guys all reiterating their congratulations over the happy news of Addy being just as pregnant as we had hoped he'd be keeping it going even now as we try and find a good stopping point for us all to stop for lunch.

"So... Are you two okay? What happened yesterday?" Liam's words are careful as he eyes me, his tools being accounted for before he starts to wipe the dust off of his hands, his mind certainly not on the lunch that Casper dropped off for him a few minutes ago before heading to his standing physical therapy appointment, the way he's tackling figuring out how to walk on his new prosthetic properly instead of constantly relying on his magic to help him stay upright admirable... My Beta constantly radiating how proud he is of his mate for taking care of himself finally and flourishing.

"We're okay now. Thank you for having my back yesterday, Liam... Mason came over the other night and it kind of pissed me off... I got loud and he got stupid... And in the end, Addy had a panic attack... It was a mess, but getting through it." The words leave my mouth in a hum, no hesitation being given to share the basics of what happened the other day ever cropping up in front of my words. I know he knows how to keep his mouth shut... But I've never been one to overshare, and the situation the other night had involved more than just me. As much as I appreciate Liam caring, I would never dream of detailing Adrian's trauma, especially not without his blessing. Our business is our business and if Liam has questions he knows he can ask, just like he knows that it's up to me if I answer or not.

Liam knows that if I wanted to go into detail, I would, and just like always he doesn't press for specifics, just moves on with the conversation as he digests it, "I'm guessing that's what triggered his migraine, huh. Cassie has issues after his panic attacks too. You think Mason'll be back to cause trouble? Should I stay close by just in case?"

It's generous that he offers, especially since I know that at the end of the day here his mind ends up focused on nothing but getting back home to Casper so they can do whatever it is they do during their evenings... And it makes me smile that he doesn't linger too long on anything other than the fact that he might need to be 'on-call' for the next few days until we know Mason won't be returning... The safety of his pregnant Luna just as important to him as it is to me.

...

Adrian

...

I wasn't exactly sure how today would feel... By the time I was swallowing my vitamins after breakfast though it had dawned on me that today... Is a calm day... A calm day with no trace of Mason left on the wind and ny migraine finely put behind us... The taste of yummy dark chocolate on my lips as I let myself alternate between staring at the words on the pages of the book that's in my lap and staring at the love of my life as he and the guys start to wind down, the way he and Liam seem to always be in sync more amusing than it necessarily should be to me...

Even though he's doing his best to be present as he and Liam chat, We all know that really... His mind is over here with me, firmly wrapped around my consciousness giving me so much affection I almost can't stand it... The doting way he keeps double and triple-checking that I'm comfortable over here in the shade with my blankets and my little basket full of goodies so adorable I wish he would just come over already and hold me... Or at least let me sit a bit closer to him even though he doesn't want me close enough to accidentally get hurt, even more so now that we know for sure that our nugget is real...

His protectiveness no doubts even stronger now after that interlude with Mason coming around... Even if he has been somewhat good so far of not being ridiculous about it this morning... He keeps checking in because he cares... But he's doing his best to not overwhelm me and I don't even know where to begin to express how much I might actually adore it today if he pays me even more attention than he already is... My soul not feeling clingy necessarily... I'm just craving his presence... His company and his affection...

It's not hard to see that he's feeling the same with the way his eyes keep turning towards me even while he carries on his conversation... Liam clapping him on the shoulder once with a nod and a smile before heading off towards his truck, the other guys following his lead while my sweet Daddy turns all the way towards me and I find myself climbing to my feet so I can greet him... My entire being feeling so much safer and more secure when his arms glide their way around my waist so he can scoop me up and pull me close...

"I missed you, Princess... How are you feeling?"