Sixty Eight

...

Silas

...

It wasn't easy to forget that Liam, Casper, and Agatha are here... But for some reason, I end up jumping when Liam staggers through the doorway of the kitchen... His dark circles are more prominent than I've seen in a long while as he parks himself at the table... A necklace being plopped onto the table in front of him before he raises his hand just enough to take it through the top of his messy hair with a simple question falling from his lips, "Did you two manage to get any sleep last night?"

It's simple... But it feels like it's kind of overwhelming to try and answer...

Long story short... We did... Even if it somehow feels like my eyes still ache and awful dry like I've been up for days...

'Daddy... That's from crying... And it's okay.' Adrian slips his thoughts into my head so easily that it almost startles me, our standing cuddle becoming just a tiny bit closer as he gives me an explanation as to why it almost feels like I've got two black eyes... His voice only becoming tangible in order for him to step in and answer our Beta, "We did. It wasn't restful though... Did you keep watch all night? And do you maybe want some French toast? I think we need a few minutes before trying to eat, I'm starting to feel a little nausea coming on."

My sweet Addy Baby offers the plate of food to Liam with no complaints coming from me, the understanding smile that comes to Liam's face oddly bringing me comfort as he accepts it while giving my pretty Luna the answers he's looking for, "I'll never turn down food, Adrian. Ever. Thank you... And I did. No sign of any activity though, suspicious or otherwise."

My Beta takes a moment before getting a little bit more comfortable before continuing, "Casper is taking his turn on watch now so I can get some sleep... And I am supposed to be giving this-" Liam nods towards the necklace on our table, "to you two."

...

Adrian

...

"Why are you giving us a necklace?" As much as I want things to make sense right now since everything else in the last twenty-four hours or so has been so freaking chaotic... I can't help but raise an eyebrow at Liam randomly gifting us jewelry... It just doesn't compute with the current level of tension in the air and our circumstances.

"That's Cassie's leash, Baby. Not just a necklace... Am I wrong?" The answer I don't see coming falls out of Silas's mouth instead of Liam's, and I can't say that it actually provides me with any real clarity... Not that I'm necessarily sure that Silas is too sure of his words...

Not with his, he adds the question on to the end of his statement before grimacing when Liam nods, his voice shaking as he finds it in himself to continue "I thought that damn thing looked familiar when you set it down...Did you- when did you even get the chance to call the witch's council for permission to take it off? It hasn't even been a day!"

...

Silas

...

It's hard to keep the frustration out of my voice as Liam lifts the damn thing off the table to hold it out to me... My initial reaction being that I want to recoil from the cursed necklace...

The cursed necklace that Casper has to willingly wear twenty-four hours a day seven days a week that puts a cap on his powers and physically hurts him if he uses too much magic... The curse on it letting the Witch's council keep track of him as well... Nothing more than a fucking shock collar to control him, a tracker, and to punish him all at the same time...