Forty Nine (18+)

It hadn't taken long to figure out that even though she's distanced herself from him... Ma hadn't quite managed to figure out how to sever their connection completely... And the pain in her voice had raised my hackles so completely that Adrian had to take the phone from me... Both of my parents in distress... Both of them suffering because somehow I failed to pay enough attention to the territory... Somehow hunters had found themselves here and now not one... But two people are hurt... Even if Ma isn't in any actual danger... It still must be torture to be connected to Mason... The hysterics in her voice having ripped my heart out with every tiny cry that she tried to hold back to keep me from hearing... Addy doing what he can to calm her down at the moment...

"Hey... Alpha Silas, you have to breathe... You're turning a bit blue..." The words are hoarse and half-whispered... My ears barely able to hear them over the commotion... Quinn's hands finding mine as he moves himself in front of me... Something dangerous to do considering his tense I am...

Instead of making me more anxious... It... It helps... And it doesn't take long for me to realize that this is him doing his job in the pack, even though I failed to do mine... He's trying to calm a distressed wolf... And even though both of us know that I'm not likely to drop my shoulders I appreciate the sentiment... Or... I think I will later...

For now... I do my best to just focus on the feel of his hands squeezing mine to try and help me ground myself and take as deep of a breath that my anxiety will allow... The yelp Mason gives making me falter just for a moment... The urge to turn and look at him overruled by Quinn as he tugs on my palms and keeps me focused... His breathing getting more and more exaggerated until I catch on that he wants me to match him so that I calm down as much as I can... Which isn't much...

...

Adrian

...

I don't think I've ever been happier to hear a car pulling through the trail that leads to our backyard... But as soon as Paxton's car comes into view I can feel some of the tension leaving my body as I continue to try and talk Bethany through what's happening right now... Giving her as much warning as I can every time Cassie and Liam adjust the pressure they're trying to keep on Mason's side while she cries nearly inconsolably over feeling her mate's life trying to slip away due to some dumbass with a gun...

It hurts...

It hurts knowing that she now knows what buckshot feels like via getting shot via proxy... And before we called... She had no idea what was happening... She had no idea if Mason was okay or what happened... No idea where he was or if she would have to feel the other half of her soul either and die... And it hurts because it's my biggest fear... And if Mason had taken Silas at his word he wouldn't have staggered into the yard looking for help and we never would have known that either one of them was in distress...

It hurts because Quinn and I were laughing and frosting cupcakes and acting like everyone was normal when my in-laws were in agony... And even though Mason is far from my favorite person I can't help but feel guilt over the giggles that had been leaking from my mouth whenever someone raised their shotgun and fired...

"Paxton just got here, Bethany... Mason is going to be okay... We'll make sure of it okay?" At this point, I don't expect her to really respond to me through her tears... But it's what I keep repeating nonetheless...

I know that even though Paxton is here that Bethany still needs care herself, even though it might not necessarily be medical since all of the wounds are on Mason's end of things... But it had been all too easy to have Quinn text, someone, to head over to her... When they'll actually get there I have no idea and no way to ask about it without feeling like I'm abandoning Bethany to handle the pain of this on her own...

Really it should be one of us... Quinn or I... It's what Omegas are born to do... But neither one of us seems to be able to leave... Quinn's trying to keep Silas from falling even more into shock and it would feel wrong to walk away from my mate during a scene like this one... He needs me here... He needs me here where he can see me and hear me and feel me... I need to be here for him to be a good mate... And that relegated me to trying to extend as much care and comfort over the phone while we all wait on bated breath to figure out when all of this will be over and if Mason will actually be alright in the end... Or see if I've been unintentionally lying to my mother-in-law while trying to keep her calm...

With Silas's back turned to me it's hard to take my advice and not watch Cassie and Liam as they stay crouched at Mason's side... But I can't seem to help but let my eyes follow Paxton as he jumps out of his car with his medical bag and what looks to be an assistant at his side that I've never been introduced to before...

I watch them as they run to Mason and the guys as they keep the red and drenched towels pressed against his side and my eyes stay there... My mouth reciting to Bethany everything that's happening so she can brace herself for the field examination that's about to happen to her mate... My eyes not closing when the towels get pulled away... My heart pounding until I can't take it before... The vial and needle that appear from out of Paxton's bag making Mason whine... The yelp he gives from being touched matching Bethany's startled groan enough to force me to turn away to try and center myself so I don't faint...