Sixty Seven

...

Adrian

...

Even though it's not like we haven't made breakfast together before, this morning feels a bit different... The way Silas seems to need to hold me while we do everything from beating the eggs and vanilla together to cutting up the strawberries we rescued from the bottom drawer or the fridge seems more intense than it usually does. I'm kept nestled against his chest, maybe more for his benefit than mine today... The way he keeps me close though offering comfort to the both of us as we avoid talking about what happened yesterday... As we try to avoid even thinking about it do that we can just take the morning to run off some of the stress that's weighing so heavily on our shoulders... Even if it might not be safe to actually go for a run after yesterday.

"Hey...", Silas's voice spooks me out of my own thoughts just enough to jump a little bit before tilting my head and turning in his arms just enough to see his face as he plates up our French toast, "I don't say it enough... But I love you, Princess... And I love our little nugget too... And I'll do whatever I have to do to protect you both."

Daddy's words leave me chilled, and I can't help but turn the rest of the way in order to wrap my arms around him before I say, "I appreciate that... And we love you too, Daddy... You're going to be the best father just like you're the best mate... And please know that I'll do whatever I can to protect you too, even if you don't think you need protecting."

I add in the last bit just as he starts to protest and tell me that it's not my job to protect him... But the thing is... It is my job to protect him... Or at least to do the best I can to... To protect him and to help protect our baby, our pack, and our territory... And it feels important to make him realize that... To make him understand that it doesn't just fall all on his shoulders.

...

Silas

...

Somehow... Addy always seems to make me emotional whenever I least expect it...

Even though I know from his thoughts and tone of them in his mind that he feels just as protective of me as I do of him... It still chokes me up to hear him say so out loud... To hear anyone say so out loud...

Because no one has ever thought that I need protecting before him... Everyone just assumed that I'm strong enough to deal with most things on my own... That I've always been strong enough... Even when I was just a kid...

Even Liam... He helps me so much... But it's mostly to help the pack run smoothly and to save us both stress... Not because he really thinks I need the help or the feeling of being protected...

Part of me wonders if all Alphas get treated this way... If all of us crave the feeling of vulnerability that we rarely ever actually get to express... And for what? Just because we're meant and made to be the leaders of our packs...

It's exhausting...

I'm not sure if the tears come because Addy is sweet enough to say out loud that he really does have my back... Or if it's because the thoughts that back up his statement are so kind...

But either way...

Our breakfast seems to be finished off with the seasoning of my tears as my arms close around my soul mate just a bit tighter than they were before... Our standing arrangement becoming an actual hug while we linger in the kitchen next to the counter instead of sitting down... Addy snuggles me so intensely that it helps take some of the pressure off of my shoulders... My emotional release coming on without guilt or fear of being judged...