The quest

Theo was woken up at the break of dawn by ice cold water hitting his skin. He gasped and jumped from his bed, grabbing the blade under his pillow.

"Relax,it's just me...but good reflexes you have there kiddo." his teacher, Lucien, said and put the wooden bucket down. "Now get up, we've got a demon to hunt down."

"Yes, master." Theo said, quickly getting dressed and taking all his weapons. That included several smaller knives, a sword, twin blades, bow and arrows and a charm necklace that burned demons if they touched it.

It was like this every day since his parents send him into the mountains to train with the best supernatural hunter in all coutry, from the western seas all the way to over the mountains and the Great river.

At fitst it was hard since he was born and raised with a silver spoon in his mouth, but when he was 13 he was sent away to live here. In bitter snows and cold winds, in a wet hut that looked so fragile no one understood how it was still standing.

It has been five years since he got here and he adapted to this way of life. Theo has been quite good at hunting, of course after a lot of learning, and his teacher was so proud he wrote to the boy's father and told him that he thinks that the boy was ready to do what no man was able to do in thousands of years.

Lucien thought that Theo was capable of killing the prince of darkness, the hero of demons, the soon to be most powerful creature in all their land and no one will be able to stop him then.

On his 1800th birthday the demon prince, Aleksei, is to find his mate, what will unlock all his powers.

Aleksei is alredy capable of burning down anyone or anything in his way, and he can transform into a raven and fly away from any threath. He can also perform very complicated spells and transform into a merman, but with tentacles like an octopus and not a tail.

When his full powers unlock he will take his mother's throne and rule all demons and demon blooded creatures.

Theo wanted to be send on that dangerous mission over the river, through The dark forest and into the demon lands, or as the hunters call them Death valleys.

With these thoughts in his head Theo walked behind his teacher in silence as they walked through a meter and a half of snow, harsh, cold, northen wids were blowing into their faces.

The demon they needed to hunt down was last seen near a small village called Dean, that's also Theo's birth place.

But he will not be seeing his family as his father believes it's for the best, it's so he doesn't get homesick, he says. Wich Theo knows he would if he got to hug his loving mother or his younger brother and sister, who were twins.

After about a day and a half they finally saw the tiny lights of that small village blinking in the dark.

As they got closer the voices were louder and clearer.

"The hunters are coming! Get the best table in my pub ready!"

"They are here!"

"Daddy I want to be a hunter too when I grow up!"

"Look that little Darlington boy, he has grown so much."

"Sister look how handsome he is."

"It seems you've got some admirers there lad." Lucien laughed and lightly punched Theo's shoulder.

Theo laughed and rolled his eyes. He never really thoght of his looks. But every girl that ever saw him sure did.

The light brown hair falling over his eyes that looked like ocean and desert were crashing and dancing inside of them. His left eye was the shade of blue that held the calm ocean and his right eye was the exact shade of hazel the desert sand was.

He was also tall, 6'3, and his black leather clothing made him seem even stronger since it perfectly showed off every single muscle carved into his body.

They entered a pub which they always went to before their missions. They sat down and odered a beer each.

"Lad, I have something to talk about with that gentleman over there, I'll be right back." Lucien got up and walked away from their table.

Theo just nodded and stared at his blade. It was quiet beautiful. It was silver with detailed carvings on it.

His eyes were studying the knife but his thoughts were far away, at the demon castle. All he knew were the stories, and if he was to believe them it was a place of pure and utter evil.

Tomorrow he was to start his jurney. Their plan was simple, since the demon prince was untouchable at any given moment, Theo needed to get close to him. They made up this tragic story of how he was sick of humans, how they banished him for not wanting to hunt supernaturals, all that.

The descriptions of the demon he was ment to kill said that he was the most beautiful creature ever created but that he was a storm with a skin. It was said that even men would get weak in their keens in his presence.

Wich scared Theo the most. You see Theo was never the one to be interested in girls. His eyes would follow the baker's son insted of the preacher's daughter. His first and only love was a boy that moved away about a year ago, Charles. He was a knight now, that's why he left. Once his father found them in the same bed he send him away to get him cleared of sin, as he put it.

As Theo was getting deeper and deeper into thinking about his quest, someone interrupted him.

It was a girl, short and thin, with long blonde hair neatly braided. Her blue eyes were practically glowing as she looked at the handsome young man in front of her.

"Good evening young hunter." she said, sitting next to him. "I'm Clarissa." her voice was high and very annoying.

"Theodore." the hunter responded, being polite as always.

"I know, I've heared a lot about you. How brave and smart you are. You saved my friend from a blood sucker last winter." she was talking so fast you could barely understand her.

"Did I?" Theo responded.

"Yes. Yes you did young hero. And now I hear you are going to kill that monster that's terrorizing us, that awful, evil and cruel creature that calls himself a prince." she went on with her talking.

But just when he thought he will have to put up with this Lucien called out for him to get going and he happily got up "Excuse me." he said to her and walked away.

The hunt went as usual. They tracked the demon, cornered it and killed it. Nothing special.

They were silent going back home, getting ready for bed, they didn't talk much in general. Even the next morning as Theo was getting ready to set off on his way. Lucien wished him luck and hugged him like an older brother or a father.

It took Theo seven long days to get over the mountains and the river and farther into the dark, cursed and scary forest sourrouding the demon castle. Small villages and cities were all behind the castle. Well protected.

Just as he was about to sit down for a moment he heard something behind his back and turned around. Before he could react everything went black.