On the run

After some time Aleksei calmed down as much as he could, but Theo wasn't leaving his side or letting go of his hand.

Brigitte took care of Aleksei's burns and Roman's cuts since he wasn't standing under the fire Aleksei made. She patched them up as much as she could with a few things she had on her and some plants her and Clarabelle managed to find near by.

"We need to start moving." Clarabelle said.

"Where?" Isaac asked.

"To the north." Aleksei said coldly.

Brigitte looked at him with a suprised face, she knew something the others didn't. "You are going to see him?" she asked.

"I have no other damn choice." Aleksei answered her.

"Who? And where to the north?" Theo was confused, and it was obivous that everyone else was too.

"We are going to the caves in the north, I know someone up there who can help me end that mother fucker." Aleksei spat the last words.

"Who do you know?" the question left Theo's mouth before he could think about them.

"My bastard father." the words were like a viper's poison.

Everyone went silent, there was something about Aleksei's father that they didn't want to talk about.

"I'll explain on the way, let's just get going." Aleksei said and took Theo's hand as they started walking.

Clarabelle lead they way, she was the one with most knowladge about travel. She pulled a dagger from her boot and held her girlfriend protectively behind herself.

Roman held Isaac's hand and held him close.

They were all silent but Aleksei who starzed explaining to Theo what the situation with his father was.

"Him and my mother met before she was queen and they both wanted power. So they agreed to merry once my mother gets the throne. So once she did they got married and they found a ritual to gain a special kind of power. One that allows you to control blood in somebody else's body. To gain it you need to make a sacrifise of your own newborn, so they had a child. They planned on performing the ritual but my mother grew to love me, and she didn't want to do it. She planned on faking a miscaridge but he figured it out. He wanted to performe the ritual as soon as I was born but my mother exalied him. She made sure to protect me at all cost and she made sure that I learn to do it for myself. But it didn't really matter as soon as I was older then a day. He offered a few times to train me but my mother did not aprove of it and I had no wish to see him either." The king's voice was cold, void of any emotion towards his father, but his eyes watered on the mention of his mother.

Theo squeezed his hand a little. "I'm really sorry about your mother."

"Thank you darling." Aleksei said and planted a soft kiss on Theo's cheek.

They walked in silence for the rest of the day, not letting go of each other.

Once it was dark they set up a camp. Brigitte and Clarabelle made some tents of sorts out of scrap, they started a fire and all of them agreed that they would switch on watch every few hours.

Roman suggested that they leave Aleksei out of it to give him some time but he demanded to not have special treatmant.

Him and Theo were the first on watch. The sound of wood burning and the sounds of nature around them were the only things breaking the silence of the cold night. Snow was still falling and it was extremely cold even with the fire, so Aleksei made his own body warm with his flame and pulled Theo closer to keep him warm.

Theo hugged Aleksei tihghtly and slowly played with his hair.

The king has tossed the crown aside hours ago but what he didn't see is that Brigitte went and picked it up. She put it in a bag she had around her waist, with the crown inside hardly anything else could fit.

Theo wanted to say something but he didn't know what exactly he should say. After thinking about it for some time he was suprised to feel a soft vibration in Aleksei's chest.

The king was humming a tune he remembered from his childhood. One that the whole court knew by the time he was barely walking. His mother used to put him to sleep with it. Even though it wasn't the only one she used that was the one that stayed in his memory fully. It usually broght back good memories but at that moment it broght tears.

His mate looked at him and gently wiped the tears away with his hand. Aleksei leaned in a kissed the top of his head softly.

"Thank you, my love." the demon whispered.

"Don't thank me, it's the bare minimum." said Theo.

"It is more then any of my partners before you did, darling."

"In that case they were fools, you deserve to be treated like a god."

Aleksei smiled a bit "Well... To be fair I wasn't as kind to them as I am with you now." Aleksei admitted.

Theo kissed him gently and said "Still, you have your flaws but so does everybody else. I can guarantie to anyone that you are one of the best people on earth."

"That would make you the first, but thank you." Aleksei smiled a bit again.

After some time in silence Roman and Isaac walked up to them to switch.

They laied down on a makeshift bed and Aleksei covered them with his cape and was still radiating heat to keep them warm.

They cuddled up with each other again and didn't want to pull away the whole night.

About an hour after they fell asleep Aleksei woke up, cold sweat puring down his face and panting. He franficaly looked around and pulled Theo closer, as if to make sure he's really there.

"Shh, it's okay, it's okay it was a dream. I'm here." Thep hugged him back, not asking questions or anything like that, just holding him until his breathing calmed and he fell back to sleep.

It went on like that the whole night, and every time Theo didn't complain, and each time he comforted his mate.

In the morning nobody talked much and they continued walking north.

The other probably heared all the fuss the night before but decided not to talk about it.