4: loving is easy

7x04

I've always found it difficult to believe that people loved me

I've always found it difficult to believe that people loved me. That they wanted to spend time with me because they enjoyed my company and not because I was Derek Shepherd's sister. I've always doubted people's intentions, to the point I literally begged my mother to be home-schooled until college. And even after med school I always had to prove my worth because I was "the kid" and a woman. It sucked.

I've always been on my guard and it took me a lot of therapy to accept people who made an attempt to be there for me. I refused to believe that the reason they went out of their way for me, or listened attentively when I expressed myself, or remembered little details about me, was because they cared.

But there I was, at Seattle. And I wasn't alone anymore.  I had my brothers, but I also found a whole tribe that I was starting to grow fond of. After all the crap they went through, they were there for each other. And they made sure I knew they'd be there for me, even if I was they new one.

-You paged for a consult, Dr Torres?- I asked Callie as I went inside the scan room. Arizona and Alex were also there.

-Yeah, waiting for the result to show up.

-If the pain is not too bad, that means the tumor shrunk, right?

-If the chemo did its job- Torres answered.

-Guess who just scored a table at the new sushi place that's impossible to get into?- Mark came in.

-No way- Callie said.

-8.30, table for four- he looked at me and I smiled sweetly.

-I am a little tired of you taking me out not to be their third wheel, you moron.

-Shut up, you love sushi.

-That I do- I agreed.

-You know, I don't eat sushi- Arizona said awkwardly and my eyes connected with Alex's who was frowning and confused.

-Yeah, you do -her girlfriend pointed.

-Yeah. I did, but then I got sick after I ate all those pre-packaged rolls at the cafeteria. Bad memory- she chuckled and we looked at her knowing she was lying.

-I'll change the reservation for 3- I rolled my eyes at him. My gaze went back to the computer- oh, shoot, Dr Torres... looks like chemo didn't work.

We started to look for possible ways to avoid cutting of his leg and Karev found one.

-Nice one, Dr Karev- I compliment and he smiled proudly- I'll leave you 3 for your surgery.

-You're not scrubbing in, Dr Shepherd?- he asked me.

-Nop, 3 pairs of hands are enough. You found answers, you get to scrub in. Now, go and learn, Karev- he nodded still with the smiled- And you two- I pointed at the girls- c'mon, Torres, you and I know Mark's hard to get to like but once you do you love him. Arizona needs more time. And, Robbins- she looked at me- if you don't like Mark meddling in your relationship don't tell Callie, tell him! Now, I've got a neuro surgery, bye- I smiled and left.