26: price tag

9x03

9x03

After going through what we did... some days you wake up and you feel amazing, then some days you wake up and you don't know if you ever felt okay in the first place because you just want to crawl up in a ball and cry your eyes out.

That's okay... that means you're in the process of recovery.

-Derek Shepherd- the lawyer said as we were all sitting in a meeting room- multiple hand fractures with a median nerve injury. Arizona Robbins, open femur fracture with resultant above-knee amputation. Lexie Grey, deceased. Mark sloan, deceased- I closed my eyes for a second as she kept speaking.

-How's the investigation going?- I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard my brother's voice.

-Have they found what caused the crash?- Mer asked.

-The investigation could take years. That's why we want to help you put this tragedy behind.

-I think you mean, your clients would like to put it behind them- our lawyer said.

-So I'm authorized at this time to propose a one-time settlement. Bayview Aeronautics takes your loss seriously- he passed me a paper with a huge number on it- now the settlement agreement must be unanimous, and it releases Bayview Aeronautics from any and all other claims, known or unknown, but most important, it will allow you to put this painful time behind you and move on with your lives.

-Yeah, 'cause I'm sure you know all about our pain, right?- I said sarcastically before leaving the room.

-Hey- Jackson approached me- how did it go?

-They're offering us money- I sighed looking at him- like 7 figures type of money.

-Wow, that's a lot- he said impressed.

-Why are you impressed?- I half smiled- aren't you an Avery?- he rolled his eyes with a tiny smile- do you think I should settle?

-That's not something I can tell you, babe- he wrapped his arms around my waist- you think about it. Is this money worth your silence? Will you be able to sleep at night knowing you've got that money in the bank and knowing where it comes from?

I sighed.

-Stop being right- he chuckled as I spoke and pecked my lips- I have a consult.

-Good to see your back in your element.

-Someone has to do the job- I smiled.

...

-Hey, Alex- Meredith entered the attendings' lounge where I was serving my coffee- why did an intern just give me a compliment on the crown moldings in my empty house? Are you still sleeping there?

I raised my eyebrows at him.

-Busted- I whispered and he gave me a look.

-Chicks like it better than the on-call room.