15: when I was your man

8x04

8x04

Third person POV

One of the most difficult things to do is to be honest with the people you love, which is why most times, we keep our feelings hidden from them. We avoid expressing what we're really thinking because we don't want to hurt them or stir up an argument. But Cora chose to tell Jackson how she felt about him. Still, she felt like she lost her friend and that it didn't matter what happened, they'll never be the same to each other again.

People that love you understand when you tell them you cannot be available to them because you're tending to you own well-being. They don't make you feel awful for not choosing them over your own peace. That's why Jackson gave Cora space. Still, he felt like a part of him was missing.

Cora entered the trauma room where Mark had paged her.

-Damn it- she whispered as she saw Jackson next to the patient. Cora avoided making eye contact.

-Give me my TARDIS!- the patient screamed and she raised her eyebrows.

-It's not yours! I fought for it!

-I lost an ear for it!

-Karev- I turned to face him and the looked at the dude with the box- please, take him out.

-No, he's stealing my TARDIS! Just stop him!

Cora came closed to him and smiled gently.

-Hi, my name is Cora. I'm Dr Shepherd- the patient relaxed staring at her- we'll go back to this TARDIS issue later, okay?- he nodded- your ear has lost all of its soft tissue, but Dr Sloan here says he'll be able to construct an entirely new ear.

Mark smirked proudly and Jackson stared at her. She had like this amazing power of calming people down.

-We'll take cartilage from your ribs and match it to the exact size and shape of your existing ear- Sloan informed- it's a long process, but when we're finished. that ear will look good. Anything you want to add, Avery?- he gave him a look.

Cora told Derek and Mark about what happened and of course, Mark had to be himself and make Jackson's life a little more complicated.

-No- he said with annoyance- you covered it.

-Mr Hitchens- Cora said ignoring both of them and passing a pen through the patient's feet- what are you feeling right now?

-Hurt, betrayed.

-Anything in your legs?- Alex asked with obviousness.

-No. Nothing.

-Al right. He needs an MRI right away, okay?

...

-How's the spine?- Cora asked Alex scrubbing.

-He's got a burst fracture of C-6 so we need to do discectomies above and below. I thought I'd put in a fibular graft and a plate.