45: sorry seems to be the hardest word

10x22

10x22

I played with Mark's little hands as Arizona checked him. Even when I was fully focused on my baby, I could feel Jackson's gaze.

"Well, everything looks great" The blonde smiled caressing the baby's face. "You have a really healthy son."

"Thanks" I nodded. "It's just that I like to check on him every few months, you know..."

"Oh, I got you, girl" my friend made a gesture to let me know it wasn't a big deal. "Nothing is ever too safe for our kids, right?"

"Yeah" Jackson spoke for the first time and the tension started to fill the room.

"Well, if that was everything, I'm gonna leave for my rounds" Arizona told us awkwardly and left in the blink of an eye, though she didn't do it before kissing my son goodbye.

The silence felt weird and I could tell we both wanted to speak but non of us found the words. I sighed and went to pick up Mark, but Jackson did the same as me making our bodies collapse.

"I'm sorry" We both spoke at the same time but didn't manage to coordinate our bodies. I ended up chuckling a little bit.

"Okay, I'm gonna take the baby, fine?" I asked raising an eyebrow and he smiled nodding. After lifting Mark, he wrapped his hands around my cheeks and smiled. "Hi, little dude, say bye-bye to daddy, we're going to daycare and then momma's going to perform a cool surgery with auntie Amy and uncle Derek" he chuckled at the sound of my voice making us both smile. "Yeah, sounds fun to me, too."

"Wait, Cora" My husband's voice stopped me from leaving and I turned around. He looked just as nervous as when he confessed his love for me the first time. "Mmm, maybe we could...you know... have dinner after your surgery to talk things out? If that's okay with you, I mean. You don't have..."

"Okay" I interrupted him with a tiny smile. "But your ass is paying, Jackie."

"Sure thing" he nodded trying to hide the excitement, but I could see his eyes sparkling before leaving the room.

...

"Okay, I'm here, sorry I missed the meeting" I spoke approaching both of my siblings in the hallway. 

"How was Mark's appointment with Robbins?" Derek asked me as the 3 of us walked towards the room where our rounds started.

"Great, it was just a routine check and everything's in order. So, how was the meeting?"

"Well, I'm not Meredith, but I can tell Cristina is sick of all this Harper Avery situation" My brother sighed.

"Speaking of Avery..." my gaze focused on Amy and I narrowed my eyes at her. "Did you talk to him?"

"Aha" I nodded and the both opened their eyes widely. "We agreed to have a dinner later today to talk things out."

"Well, oh, well, someone's getting make up sex tonight..." Amy spoke and I just rolled my eyes at her.