16: wasted

8x06

8x06

I was going through my patient's chart when Lexie approached me. I'd had been ages since the last time we actually spoke. Considering I declared to her boyfriend I'd say it was fair enough.

-I can't be in you brother's service anymore. He's not nice at all. Can I be with you?

-You need to learn his quirks. Remember to always put 16 towels in the OR. Not 15. Not 17. 16- she nodded- and I thought you wanted to be more in Neuro?

-You're not in Neuro today?

-No, I have an ortho case with Torres and Yang. But, come on, It'll be fine with Derek.

-If you say so- she sighed and I smiled waling away.

I entered the patient's room and Cristina and Callie were already there.

-Hi, Tyler, how are feeling today?- I smiled- I'm sorry I'm late.

-It's okay- Callie told me- I was talking about the three-day three-part surgery we're doing.

-Yeah, we're building this guy a new neck- I nodded.

...

-Butterfly tumor!- Derek showed me some scans with a huge smile- this is my gratitude gift for being the best sister during this times. It's a mother that just had her baby.

-My God it's a beautiful tumor- Callie frowned as she was sitting next to me in the cafeteria- you know what I mean. Look at the edges, they're smooth, defined. It can come out. When's the surgery?

-Today.

I gripped.

-I have the second neck surgery with Callie.

-Oh, I'll be fine with Yang. Mark will be in the OR too- she smiled at me- you go save a mom.

-Yay!- I jumped and everyone in the cafeteria stared at me- I'm assuming Lexie's my resident?

I went to speak with my new patient, Mary, but her husband was too afraid to let her do it. At the end, she ended up getting the surgery.

I sat in my chair at the OR with Lexie next to me.

-Okay, I've cleared out the tumor on the right side of the brain, but look- I told her- see all those vessels blocking the way now?

-It's like a line of defence.

-That's why the tumor's so smart. It grows on both sides of the brain so we'll be too scared to cross over.

-But she has 6 moths. That's something. You know, and you tried. There's no shame in stopping now...

- Lexie-I looked at her- we're not stopping.

-But you just said the tumor was smart.

-But we're smarter. Bipolars- I asked.