20: she loves you

8x14

8x14

Valentine's day.

That day of the year where people have to show the world they're in love. Where people go out and spend bunches of money unnecessarily.

If you love someone, you show them everyday of every week of every month.

I hated Valentine's day.

-Baby, it's just dinner- Jackson told me as we entered the hospital.

-No, it's dinner in a super expensive restaurant where I have to dress up and wear make up. For some reason  people find it romantic to propose this day and I don't want to spend my whole evening stopping every 5 minutes to clap and cheer to the new engaged couple- he rolled his eyes.

-Can we at least have dinner at our place?

-Sounds like a plan- I smiled and kissed him goodbye- see ya!

...

We were waiting in the OR for Mark and Jackson since there was a car accident and I was paged 911 for an ortho surgery.

-I am not babysitting- I heard Jackson saying as they both entered.

-I have made your career, and I can break it.

-Mark, we've got plans- I gave him a look.

-Wait, Avery, you manage to convince the Valentine's Grinch to have plans tonight?- I rolled my eyes at Mark- you're like a national hero.

-Shut up, Mark, and get your own sitter- I focused again on repairing the patient's hip.

-She's your goddaughter.

-And she's your daughter!- I raised my eyebrows and he shut up about it.

-I need to check for septal hematoma. I'll be quick. I got a date tonight- he did it- septum looks fine. I'm not gonna cancel a date on Valentine's Day. Women claim that they don't care, but they all do, a lot- he looked at me.

-Don't do that- I squinted my eyes- don't use this inverse phycology crap on me. I hate Valentine's Day but I love Jackson and he wants to have dinner. So I'll have a damn dinner but not because I care about this stupid day, but because I care about him. I am not babysitting!- they all looked at me and I could see Jackson's smile under his masks. I sighed- I'm sorry, Dr Webber. Happy anniversary...my part's done.

-Okay, let's prep him for ICU and I'll stay and monitor him- Richard said.

-No, it's your anniversary- Lexie said- I'll stay.

-I thought you had a hot date- I hit Mark with my elbow.

-Really? With who?- now I hit Jackson.

I saw Lexie struggling to come up with an answer.

-Is it the blond you went with to the movies the other day?- I asked pretending and she smiled at me thankful- well, you're right, he's a hottie- Jackson gave me a look and I smiled sarcastic- boys, we're done here. Let's go so Dr Webber and Dr Grey can finished their job- they nodded and the 3 of us left.