11: how to save a life

7x18

7x18

Most part of the times when I tell people I'm a surgeon, the first thing they do is ask me if all the blood or the needles don't bother me. They tell me I have a strong stomach, that they don't have what it takes to be a surgeon.

But I never thought it was the needles or the blood or any other wound what make you good to be one. It's other moments. Like when you see someone taking their last breath. Or when you have to give bad news to the family. To say those words... "now all we can do is make them feel comfortable and loved".

When you see a young woman with cancer and a bad prognosis in the ER because she feels very bad and she knows what's coming, while her mother cries next to her. When a father that just heard that her daughter has cancer and tries to be strong in front of her but then burst into tears at the nurse station.

When a patient with a bullet wound in his thorax starts to have a panic attack because he's scared and can't understand why he can't stop shaking or why the beep in the machine won't slow down.

When you have to give the bad news over the phone because it's the only way and you try to hide your flickering voice and you feel like your heart is going to come out of your chest. When you see the DNR order in a young person.

When you see a patient going into arrest. When you have to see parents breaking because their baby has a strange disease and they have to go bankrupt because they cannot afford the treatment.

When people beg you to put their loved ones on an experimental trial with the hope they can carry on.

When an old person tells you they're sick of living, that they want to rest. When another one thanks you just for treating them like a human being and try to make up to you because in the worst days of their lives you were light to them.

So, yeah, I guess you need to have a strong stomach to be a surgeon... But what you never learn is that sometimes you're that mother, father, sister, friend... you're the one that's getting the bad news.

That's something no one has stomach for.

I was brought out of my thoughts when Mark came running.

-What the hell happened?

-Car versus truck, that's all we know- Owen answered.

-And her injuries? What...? The baby?

-We don't know yet- I tried to calm him down.

-Why the hell don't you know?- he snapped- someone get me a trauma gown.

-Mark, you need to sit this one out- the Chief ordered.

-I'm not sitting this one out. That's Callie. That's my kid!

-Which is why you can't. I'm sorry, you can't be a doctor on this one.