23: Campos Is Braga

The next day Brian was heading to the station while coming up with a plan

The next day Brian was heading to the station while coming up with a plan. When he gets there his boss calls him into his office.
"You better have one hell of an explanation. You disobeyed a direct order." Penning says with a sigh. "Where is the shipment?"
"It's safe." Brian answers him.
"It's safe." Penning repeats not believing him.
"Look, we could use the shipment to parade in front of the media, get a few hundred pounds of heroin off the street but Braga's just gonna send another shipment next week and the week after that." Brian explains. "Let's use the shipment to lure Braga out and lop the head off a multi-billion dollar cartel."
"And how do you suggest we do that?" Penning asks as he sits down.
"A hand-to-hand exchange with Braga." Brian answers him.
"He'll never show." Stasiak argues.
"He can't afford not to." Brian states.
"You got a plan?" Penning asks.
"There is a price." Brian says as he thinks about Violet "we bag Braga and you let Toretto walk."
__________
"It's Dom." Dom says as Gisele answers the phone.
"I was just thinking about you." Gisele tells him. "You know, when I gave you my number I was hoping you'd call. But not under these circumstances."
"What circumstances? Me being alive?" Dom questions.
"Don't take it personally. It's just business." Gisele says.
"I got some business of own." Dom says "Get Campos."
"Uh-huh." Campos says after Gisele hands him the phone.
"Was that how Braga inspires loyalty? Killing his drivers?" Dom asks.
"One can always find more drivers." Campos answers him. "It's just good business."
"I want to trade." Dom tells him.
"Braga doesn't like to negotiate." Campos responds.
"Fine. You explain to him how all of a sudden $60 million worth of product disappears." Dom says with a smirk. "I know that can't be good for business."
"What do you want?" Campos asks him.
"Six million cash, delivered by Braga himself." Dom answers causing campos to laugh. "I don't like being shot at. I ain't gonna put my neck out again unless he's got something to lose, too."
"He'll never go for it." Campos tells Dom.
"Either I deal with Braga or you do." Dom states.
"When and where." Campos asks.
Dom nods at Brian before answering Campos.
__________
Brian and Dom are standing underneath an abandoned overpass while they wait for Braga to show up.
"Well the good news is, when we get this guy you walk out here a free man." Brian says as he looks at Dom.
"Is that what they said?" Dom asks.
"Yeah that's the deal." Brian answers.
"You still but milk and cookies out for Santa?" Dom asks him sarcastically.
"Yeah." Brian answers jokingly smiling. Campos' people start pulling up as Brian pulls his keys out. "In case things go shitty."
"Just like old times." Dom says with a smile and taking the keys as he thinks about Brian letting him go after the shooting 5 years ago.
"Yeah." Brian agrees.
"You dropped something. That's what you wanted, right?" Fenix asks as he gets out his car.
Campos pushes Fenix back before walking over to Brian and Dom and saying "He's harmless. Don't worry about him. And he's really sorry about Letty. Where's our stuff?"
"You mean the stuff that used to be in here, right?" Brian asks him as he opens the now empty case. "Well, you'll see it when we see Braga. That was the deal."
"No worries Braga keeps his word." Campos says with a smirk as the man Brian had seen Campos having a drink with at the club gets out of one of the cars.
"$2 million." The man says as he drops a bag in front of Brian and Dom. "You get the rest when I get my property."
"I got a question for you." Brian says "You wearing pink when you were clawing your way out of el Barrio?"
The man standing in front of them looks between Dom and Brian nervously.
"Your thinking what I'm thinking, right?" Brian asks Dom.
"He ain't Braga." Dom says confirming Brian's last statement.
"FBI!" An agent yells as they run onto the scene.
"Get down!" Brian orders as he pulls the man who was pretending to be Braga to the ground before turning to Dom. "Get out of here!" Braga's men start shooting at the FBI agents as Brian looks and sees Campos getting into a car but not before smirking at him. He then turns back to Dom. "Get out of here, Dom! Campos is Braga!"
Dom keeps Gisele from getting hit by Fenix as he escapes with The real Braga. Dom and Gisele get into the car that Dom's and Brian came here in before taking off.
__________
The next morning Brian was in a meeting as they discuss what went down.
"He was under your nose the whole time." Superior Hayden says as he goes through the notes. "Now Braga's escaped. Toretto is heading south. Probably long across the border by now. Do you have any idea what kind of trouble you are in, O'conner."
"I was doing my job." Brain tells him.
"He ain't the first bad guy you helped earths law's grasp. Superior Hayden says.
"As of now, you're being taken off active duty, until this house can mount a formal inquiry." Superior Owens explains.
"What about Braga?" Brian asks.
"That's no longer your concern." Owens tells him before they leave the room.
"We now know where Braga is, right?" Brian asks once they were gone.
"Customs tracked him down via satellite to his home base in Tecail Mexico." Trina answers him.
"Mexico is out of our jurisdiction." Penning states. "The fact is the brass will be so busy holding press conferences over the seizure, we'll skate under the radar."
"I thought we signed up to do the right thing." Brian says looking at Penning who just looks down.
Brian let's put a sigh of frustration before getting up and leaving.