31. Thanksgiving & Turmoil

My hands shook from the cold as Tori and I got out of her car, bringing myself to the view of her familiarly large three-story house. I decided to bring a cajun pasta that my mom and I made together.

"It's been awhile since the last time I've been here." I spoke as chilly air puffed out of my mouth like a dragon.

"I know right." Tori's response blended with her car door closing as we proceeded to walk up the steps and into her front door. "Nothing's really changed except for my room and the fact that Luka's girlfriend literally lives here now."

I had on a tiny smirk as she swung the door open. I instantly remembered how they never locked their front door and it made me feel nostalgic. From where I live, knowing the area, I could never do that.

I followed her as the light from the inside met against my face along with the warm heated air. I couldn't help but feel cautious as we walked right towards her parents.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel awkward. I was waiting to be introduced as I glanced at the television that was playing on some random show. My attention eventually fades off to the couch where two people sat. A blonde girl with gorgeous green eyes laughed at the show as her head rested on a shoulder.

My eyes followed up the broad shoulder, only to instantly regret it the moment I get a view of a familiar boy being shrouded in dark brown hair and a black hoodie.

Luka's eyes left the show to deviously squint at me. "What's up cutie?" He whispered loud enough for only me and his giggling girlfriend to hear as I rapidly looked away.

Tori finally finished speaking to her parents and turned back towards me, causing them to instantly envelope me with warm smiles and greetings as I handed them the pasta I brought. They asked me countless questions about my life to catch up. They surprisingly offered me a glass of wine that tasted like juice as I spoke about my past jobs, school, and how much better my mom was doing. I don't know if I caught them at a tipsy moment but they were oddly way too enthusiastic about me getting fired and now working at a diner with Tori.

Tori eventually pulls me away as I took another sip out of my wine glass. "Okay so we usually just wait for everyone to get here so we can all eat together. You wanna just chill at the living room for now?" She explained as I nodded with pursed lips.

I followed her back out into the living room where I felt Luka and his girlfriend's eyes stabbing at us like daggers. It felt awful.

Seeing them earned me another large gulp of my wine. I'm not usually a drinker but this wine tasted like juice. I figured since there were a handful of questionable people here, I might as well just get on an altered state of mind to survive the rest of the night. I don't even know why they kept looking at me. I have never done anything to them and it has always been the other way around.

A wide cloud of smoke left Luka's lips like a chimney as he watched me sit down besides Tori with curiosity.

"Give me that." Tori commanded as Luka clicked his mouth out in annoyance, hesitantly passing her his vape pen. "Who else did you invite?" She asked after inhaling, letting out a cloud of smoke as her parent's drunk laughter filled the kitchen.

Luka shrugged. "Idunnow. Everyone?"

Tori's mouth dropped as her hands spread behind her in shock, her pen hitting against my stomach which made me sharply breath out. "What do you mean everyone?"

"My friends." He shrugged again as I could sense Tori getting ready to go off.

"Your friends? Luka are you fucking stupid? It's a thanksgiving dinner not a kickback." Tori aggressively muttered as Luka's girlfriend got off of his shoulder.