Chapter 35

Leona sat by the fountain in the courtyard where she'd agreed to meet Hermione and Harry at ten minutes past ten.

It was dark, and the castle had long since gone to bed, so she wasn't worried about being seen as she gazed at the stars.

But then she heard a scream.

But it was a scream of excitement coming from the sky. A sound that sounded quite familiar, but she couldn't place it.

And then the Hippogriff landed.

And her jaw dropped when she saw who rode on its back.

"Rose?"

Tears already streamed down her face.

"Dad?"

"Oh, my Rose."

And she crashed into his arms as she sobbed hysterically.

She didn't care that he was filthy, that he was still in his dirty and tattered prison robes.

She had her father back.

After 12 years she had her father back.

"Daddy I read your letter," she cried. "I believed you. I believed you were innocent. I tried to prove it but -"

"Shhh, my Rose," he cooed as he held her face. "I don't have long. But I am so proud of you. I am so proud of your Quidditch skills. I am so proud that you are happy in life."

"How do you know that?" she asked in wonder and her father's smirk was mischievous, the spitting image of hers.

"Did you really think that stray dog was just a dog?"

Her eyes widened in horror.

"That was you?!"

Sirius laughed, a deep throaty sound. A sound that hadn't left his mouth in over 12 years.

"It was. I needed to see you. At least once in case I got caught. And don't worry, I will see you again. Soon."

"Dad, I want to go with you. I've already lost you once and -"

"One day perhaps, Rose. But for now, I can take solace that the Weasley's have done a fine job raising you. Even if you are dating their son."

"Dad," Leona said with a pointed look, and Sirius only smiled.

"I have every right to meet the man who's captured my daughter's heart. And while you may not see me, you will at least be able to speak to me."

"How?" Leona asked, brow furrowed but eyes excited and her father gave her a knowing smile.

"You shall see soon"

He gazed at her, taking a second to admire her face, how much she looked like him. But also, the feeling that she radiated, was the same feeling that Odette did. A strong, brave and caring soul.

"Harry come here," he called at last, and the boy moved over from where he stood with Hermione and Buckbeak, having already said goodbye to Sirius. This time was for Leona. And to make up for what he'd said to her.

"Harry will explain to you the events of tonight, there are things you should know," he said to his daughter who nodded, and he sighed deeply, sorrowfully. "We will all be together, someday, I promise you. But for now, I need you to take care of each other for me, because it's time for me to go."

"Please don't leave dad," Leona cried as she hugged Sirius again, the man not hesitating to wrap his arms around his daughter.

"Let me let you in on a secret," he said to the two of them, a hand on each of their shoulder's. "The ones we love never really leave us. They are always in here," he said softly as he pointed to their hearts.

And with a kiss to Leona's head and a pat on Harry's shoulder, Sirius Black moved over to Buckbeak, mounting the creature who was supposed to have been executed hours ago.

"You really are the brightest witch of your age," he said to Hermione, the girl giving him a soft smile as she handed him the reigns.

And with a mock salute, Sirius reared up on Buckbeak before he took off running, and the hippogriff launched itself into the sky as the clock tower chimed.

Leona's teary eyes sparkled in the moonlight as she watched Buckbeak, and her father disappear into the blackness of the sky.

"We have to go!" Hermione said urgently as she noted the time, the massive clock tower just seconds away from ringing, but Leona grabbed Harry's arm before he could run after his friend.

"Tomorrow, before breakfast in the Astronomy Tower. Meet me there. You owe me an explanation."

Harry only nodded before he broke into a run, and Leona turned back to the sky, staring at the spot she'd last seen her father in. 

He was free. 

And her heart warmed as she eagerly awaited their next encounter.