Chapter 118

Her first instinct was to scream.

When Rosalee appeared on the Astronomy tower, the sight where the purple sparks had come from, she screamed.

She didn't remember what his face looked like.

Considering that he was the one that fired the spell, you would think she would have remembered what his face looked like. But she didn't.

All she remembered was the shield going up and then the flash of green.

But there's no spell, no shield that can stop a killing curse.

And Fred knew that as he tried to duck out of the way at the last second, but the curse struck his shoulder before he fell to the ground.

And as George grabbed Angelina and Disapparated, despite how he fought every fibre of his being to do so, Rosalee screamed.

She screamed so loudly that her throat was raw.

She screamed so loudly that her entire body shook.

She screamed so loudly and so powerfully that she destroyed the roof of the Astronomy tower along with all the death eaters inside.

And as the roof and walls began to crumble, Rosalee was already in tears as she crashed to Fred's side, cradling his head in her arms, the rubble not daring fall anywhere near them.

"No! No, no, no! Freddy! Freddy, I'm right here. I'm right here Freddy, please don't leave me. I love you, please don't leave me," she sobbed desperately as Fred gasped for breath in her arms, a shaky hand reaching to cup her face.

"I... love you," he strained. "Tell George....tell everyone...that I'm....I'm sorry."

His words only made Rosalee cry more as her heart truly broke.

Actually, there wasn't a term for what happened to her heart in that moment.

But saying it broke was putting it too lightly.

Her heart was destroyed.

She had never hated life more than in this moment.

This one moment alone was enough to make her want to die.

She couldn't even feel the tears that fell in an endless stream down her face.

This was a hole much deeper and darker and larger than the one she'd been left with when her father died.

This hole was an endless depth filled with nothing but despair.

If anything, this was worse.

It was worse because she'd lost her father before, but this was the first time that she'd lost Fred.

With over 2 million words in the English language, none of them could describe the sheer terror that went through Rosalee when Fred's hand began to drop from her face and his eyes began to droop shut.

"No! No Fred, please! Please don't leave me. Please. I beg you, please," she wail, her nose leaking as she held Fred's head to the nape of her neck. "Please," she said softly as she wrapped her arm around Fred's shoulders. "Please come back to me, Freddy. I love you so much, and you can't leave. We were supposed to get married. We were supposed to have a life together. Please don't leave me."

She didn't have a heart left as a sob tore itself from her lips and she only hugged Fred's limp body tighter, not even noticing George and Angelina reappearing, Angelina wrapping George in a hug as he sank to his knees at the sight of his dead twin.

And then Rosalee stopped breathing completely as arms wrapped around her.

"I'm not going anywhere," Fred whispered and if it was possible, Rosalee cried harder before George crashed to her side as she moved Fred's head away from her neck.

"You gave us a right good scare there Freddy. Damn you for it," George sniffed, eyes red and puffy from crying as he squeezed his twin's hand. "How are you alive anyway?"

Fred blinked hard.

"I don't know. I barely remember what happened. I said I loved Rosalee and that was it until it all went black."

"You were hit with a killing curse Freddy," Rosalee said softly, still cradling his head in her arms. "You died. You were dead," she explained as silent tears trickled down her dust-covered face.

"And then Lena blew up the bloody astronomy tower," George added and Fred craned his head around to see that it was true.

"I saved your arse from those bloody death eaters, so you're welcome by the way," she fired back.

George was unable to retort and Fred unable to intervene before they were distracted by the sound of Angelina falling to her knees as she clutched her head.

"Angie?" George asked worriedly as he moved over to her and then Leona's mind burned as she fought to keep Voldemort out, Fred now sitting up as tried to whisper words of encouragement to her.

"You have fought valiantly, but in vain. I do not wish this. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste. I, therefore, command my forces to retreat. In their absence, dispose of your dead with dignity. Harry Potter, I now speak directly to you. On this night, you have allowed your friends to die for you, rather than face me yourself. There is no greater dishonour. Join me in the Forbidden Forest and confront your fate. If you do not do this, I shall kill every last man woman and child who tries to conceal you from me."

And just like that, he was gone.