Chapter 23 Crimson Mirelands

Before walking to the gate, they find Akari there. She says, "Oh, hello. Ash and Serena. I was just getting the itch to battle with you, and now here you are. It must be a sign!"

"Sure, I can have another battle." Ash says.

"Let's have a fine battle, so I can grow closer with Pikachu!" Akari says, and this causes Pikachu to be interested.

Akari goes for Mime Jr. and Pikachu to battle, Ash goes with his own Pikachu to fight, Akari is surprised to see how Pikachu can learn Iron Tail and how it just defeats Mime Jr. with ease. And when both Pikachu are fighting, Ash can see that Pikachu is trying to cope with Akari's moves.

"Oops! I keep finding myself caught up in observing the way the Pokemon use their moves..." Akari sighs. "Pikachu may not be very happy with me, after that. Thank you for battling with me. Here - have this new recipe."

As they get the recipe for Stealth Stray, they find that it needs 1 Hopo Berry and 3 Bugwort blooms for it.

"So I've been working on studying those strange space-time distortions. Do you know the ones I mean? They've been appearing here and there lately." Akari asks.

"I'm not sure what you mean..." Serena says.

"It seems like they hold wonderful items - but frightfully strong Pokemon, too. If you plan to go into one, be careful about it! Now, time to head to the Mirelands Camp."

As they ride on the carriage to the Crimson Mirelands, they find that they are passing the Obsidian Fieldlands as they arrive at the said place. They find that there are a lot of maple leaves around the area as they are watching in awe.

"So this is the Crimson Mirelands...it sure is swampy..." Serena says.

"Here we are, my boy and girl! The Crimson Mirelands! An area teeming with poison-wielding Pokemon and plenty of others besides!" Laventon says.

"I've heard about your mission, Ash, Serena." Akari says. "If you're looking for the Solaceon Ruins, they're off that way."

They notice the entrance from afar, and she says, "For now, I'll keep searching for those space-time distortions. There's little way of knowing when or where one might appear, but I'll do my best! It sure would be handy if my map could tell me..."

Ash and Serena nod as Laventon says, "I'm counting on the three of you to carry out your survey work as best as you can! But be mindful of your limitations as well, won't you? If wild Pokemon are giving you trouble, I suggest you go to the training grounds and have Captain Zisu teach your Pokemon some strong moves."

As they start moving, they find a Pokemon that catches Serena's eye. "It's a Budew!"

"I was just wondering where we are going to see this Pokemon." Ash says. "Let's capture it, should we?"

Serena nods as they feed the Budew and capture it without being spotted, and it is a good thing that it is daytime, so they also manage to finish that request.

Budew's Research Tasks: Number caught:1,3,6,12,25 Number you've caught without being spotted:1,2,5,10,20 Number caught during daylight hours:1,2,5,10,20 Number defeated:1,2,3,4,5 Times you have seen it use Absorb:1,3,8,20,40 Times you've given it food:1,2,3,4,5 Number you've evolved:1,2,3

Hisui Dex Entry No.89 Budew: The Bud Pokemon: Grass- and Poison-type. When the sun's light strengthens, the bud atop this Pokémon's head opens. This is a sign to the people that the harsh winter is over, and the season of budding has begun.

"And there is a Carnivine...it sure reminds me of how Team Rocket used to have one." Ash says.

"Really?" Serena asks. "Speaking of them, I wonder what they are doing right now? Considering they can't go to the past so that they can try to steal Pikachu."