Kɴᴏᴡ ʏᴏᴜʀ ꜰʀᴇɴᴇᴍɪᴇs

'OUTSIDE' the text on my phone screen read

I'd removed Jason's contact on my phone a while back so the text came from a random number, but I knew it was him. Obviously.

I crept downstairs, careful not to wake my parents, Mocha trailed after me sleepily and began to paw at my leg and whine.

"Mocha, shush." I hushed the puppy, before bending down and scooping him up in my arms.

The door clicked as I undone the latch and slowly pulled it open, Jason stood in his same outfit attire as earlier and a dark green jacket on now as well, except his hair was more disheveled and looked as if he'd raked his hand through it a million times.

He didn't utter a word as I held my index finger up to my lips, stepping backwards to allow him to move inside.

Mochas tail whipped against my rib cage at the sight of another person, the puppy fussed in my arms and I had to clutch him closer so he didn't jump out of them and make a racket.

"Can I?" Jason asked as I shut the door and turned round, holding his arms out and gesturing to Mocha. I rolled my eyes playfully before handing the puppy over to him.

Mocha attacked Jason's face with kisses causing a wide grin to form on his lips, "Wow." I sighed and sauntered away from him, towards the stairs.

"'Wow' what?" Jason whispered, following me close behind with Mocha still in his arms.

The staircase creaked every step Jason took, I knew all the creaks and bad foot placements off by heart, I snapped my head over my shoulder and shot him a look to shut him up. Jason shrugged in defence.

"'Wow what? You never answered me." Jason asked quietly once more as I shut my bedroom door and locked it.

"You were smiling, when Mocha was licking your face." I mumbled, taking a seat on my bed and curling my legs up to my chest.

"So?" Jason's brows knitted together as he sat on the floor and placed the puppy in his lap, running his fingers through Mocha's fur.

"You never smile." I whispered, Jason's eyes met mine briefly before he looked away and pulled the folded paper out of his pocket. He leaned forward and handed to me.

"I never have a reason to." He mumbled, more to himself than for me to hear it, but I did anyways.

I skimmed my eyes over Jason's PI's notes and assumptions, he'd said that Jason was likely to have taken the photograph and forgotten about it due to the high intake of drugs he'd been on throughout the whole summer.

The PI had also circled the shadow behind Alison and labelled it with 'Woman's figure, not a man'. So we were right after all.

"Ian Thomas did drugs with you and your friends that summer?" I asked, my brows furrowing as I couldn't quite comprehend what I was reading.