Bʀᴇᴀᴋɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴅᴇ

MOST of the time, I felt reasonably okay, like free in a way; but then other times when my phone would ring or I'd receive a text, an overwhelming sense of dread loomed over my head, like a dark cloud does over the sky before a storm brews and rui...

MOST of the time, I felt reasonably okay, like free in a way; but then other times when my phone would ring or I'd receive a text, an overwhelming sense of dread loomed over my head, like a dark cloud does over the sky before a storm brews and ruins the day.

"Where are they?" Spencer asked, me her and Aria stood just outside the gymnasium awaiting the swim team to come out after the big meet. Although Emily was meant to be 'taking a break' from swimming because of us doing community service, Mona managed to check her back onto the team without leaving a single trace behind.

"I told my Mom we'd be studying at the library, so that's covered." Aria hummed, I clutched my folders against my chest, the school day had finished but we'd stayed behind to watch Em swim for the first time after a while.

"Good." Spence nodded.

"You sure you wanna do this tonight?" Aria asked Spencer, who seemed on edge for some reason, she had been all day. "Yeah, are you kidding?" Spence retorted rhetorically. "We have to find out what this guy knows about Ali."

Spencer and Aria had planned to meet up with the guy who answered the number in the coat of 'Vivians', I was meant to go with them but couldn't because I promised my Mom I'd be home to help cook dinner because Dads working a late shift.

"So, my Mom talked to your Mom." Aria mumbled, I briefly listened in to their conversation but because nothing was directed to me I kept my eyes fixated on the doors ahead of us.

"You know it wasn't just one sleepover Spence, it's been a whole week, my Mom just...wants to know why you're not going home." Aria shrugged lightly. I glanced over at Spencer and furrowed my brows. "Wait, why haven't you been going home?" I asked, she shook her head and gazed at the floor. I placed my folders into my bag as they were making my arms ache from holding them.

"I just...I can't deal with my family right now." Spencer whispered, Aria and I shared a quick look. "Hey look, they're out." I grabbed the girls attention quickly as the doors opened with the swim team filing out. Em came out first holding the big trophy. A grin splashed across my face as her happiness radiated some of my own.

"Yeah!" We each cheered, everyone applauded them loudly.

We moved over to where Emily stood with Maya, Spencer slinked through a few people before embracing Emily tightly. "Way to go champ!" She squealed.

"Well done Em, you did amazing!" I gushed, hugging her tightly before pulling back.

"Em! My Mom said we can have the team party at my house." Hanna came over and stood beside me, "That's great!" Emily beamed. She turned to me and gave me soft puppy eyes, "I'll come for a little while, then I gotta head home." I smiled to which she returned.

My eyes cast over towards the doors behind Em which opened, Officer Garrett and another officer strode in as if they owned the place. "What's going on?" I asked quietly, each of the girls looked over towards them.