Spike Imagine - Kitten Poker pt2

"Try again, sweetheart." The slimy green demon stands in front of me, his eyes a blaze of fury. I didn't expect this...

Maybe I overestimated Spike.

The demon lunges at me, baring it's teeth like a crazed animal. I dodge and block his assault, planting a strong punch on his jaw. His head flings back in pain, so I kick his crotch and smash my elbow into his face. He crumbles to the floor. I stand over him and jam a stake through his heart. It doesn't kill him - he's not a vampire - but it's enough to slow him down.

I grab the basket and charge out of there. "Spike!" I shout, but there's no response and no one in sight.

I run in the direction of the bar, hesitating for a second. I swear I heard something.

"Traitor." 

It's a snippet of a conversation. Spike must be close by. I follow the sound and spot Spike and the shark demon in another alleyway. Spike's slumped against a wall, blood running like a river from a cut at his temple. I set the kittens down and sneak up behind the shark-man. 

"And do you know what happens to traitors who break our policies?" I can practically hear the smirk in the demon's voice. "You're gonna watch that pretty girlfriend of yours be tortured and killed. Slowly."

I see Spike struggling to get to his feet. 

"I've ordered the others to bring her to us promptly. I sincerely hope she's not dead yet, I think here would be a quaint place to kill her, don't you agree?" 

"You son of a -" The demon grabs Spike's throat.

"What was that?" he mocks.

This has gone on long enough. I grab the demon's head, digging my nails into his scaly flesh. I swiftly twist and his neck makes a sickening crack. His bulky body falls, and Spike rubs his bruised throat instinctively. He just stares at me for a second.

"You're welcome." I quip, trying to earn a smile from Spike.

A moment passes. His face is stony when he says, "You should have made him suffer." 

I step closer to Spike and retrieve a tissue from my pocket. I dab at his face, cleaning the blood. "He wouldn't be able to hurt me, would he? As if he could."

"I'd never let that happen." Spike assures, not meeting my gaze. 

"Spike, are you okay? What happened?" I ask.

"I tried to stall them, but they weren't having it, so I ran. Did one of them get to you?"

"I took care of it." 

"Well, I didn't. I was too focused on finding you that I let that bugger give me a concussion."

I toss the bloody tissue to the ground and rub his arm. He looks so sad. 

"How did they clock that I was a human?" I ask.

Spike chuckles, "That reaction to those kittens? Although it was adorable, it was distinctively human-like." 

"I see," I blush, "Well, we can go now. Do you want to look after the kittens? I can take one and I'm sure Willow will want one. You like cats?" I smile.

Spike tilts his head and smirks, "If you help me, I'll look after them."

I return to where I left the kittens and pick up the basket. "Come on, let's get you cuties home."

"Am I included in that?"

"Smartarse." I laugh. I turn to Spike, he's not moved an inch, "You coming?"

He blinks, "Huh? Yeah."

He offers to carry the basket, but I hug it to my chest protectively. Spike picks up two of the kittens, lightening the load, and carries one in each hand.

"Who knew William the Bloody was such a softy?" I tease, prodding him playfully in the side. He only grins. 

When we get back to Spike's crypt, I take each kitten carefully from the basket and let them run around. The white cat goes straight over to Spike, meowing at his feet. "I don't think I've ever seen such an oxymoron," I laugh, looking from the cute, innocent cat to Spike's tall frame and solid-black outfit. "She likes you." 

Spike scoops up the kitten and holds her close to his chest. It's sweet. 

"I feel like she needs a name." I prompt and Spike lifts his eyebrows. I pick up the tabby cat and examine its face. "He feels like a Leonard." 

"Leonard." Spike repeats, "Random." 

"And the black cats names should match, don't you think? How about... Buffy and Angel? I'm kidding! Urm, how about... Midnight and Magic?"

"I like it." He pauses before saying softly, "This one's called Beauty." He strokes the kitten's head, and she purrs contently. I stare at Spike, wondering where the vampire who tried to kill me and my friends only a year ago went. Maybe he's not as evil as I thought. He catches me staring. "What?"

"Nothing."