Angelus Imagine - Passion

set in season two's Passion (spoilers).

As I'm towel-drying my chlorine scented hair in the locker room, I hear a deafening crash from somewhere outside. It's late. Too late for anyone to be messing around in school. I don't usually train this late, but the threat of Spike, Angelus and Drusilla won't stop me from winning the swim meet next week. On second thoughts, maybe it was unwise to be here alone. Still, nobody knew I'd be here...

Another bang, only a few seconds later. I wait, frozen. 

Another crash - a door being flung open? - breaks the silence and I start to panic. Something is going down. 

Cautiously, I peek my head out of the locker room. All I see is an expanse of dark, empty hallway. Then, pounding footsteps start, just out of sight but I can tell they're coming closer.

"Hello?" I call, the footsteps running closer still. Just as I'm about to go back to grab a stake from my gym bag, Ms Calendar appears around the corner. I can see the terror in her eyes from here.

"Ms Calendar? What's going on?" 

I step out into the corridor and she stops, grabbing my arms with such force that I try to pull away.

"It's Angelus. Get out." I've never seen someone so petrified in my life. And I've seen my share of pure fear living in Sunnydale all my life. I have felt it plenty myself.  "Go! Don't let him see you -"

Before the words have left her lips, I see Angelus at the other end of the corridor. He pushes through the double doors as if they weigh nothing.

He looks right at me. 

"Ooh. Dessert." 

Ms Calendar thrusts me back into the locker room, causing me to stagger back and fall against a wooden bench. I spring up, fuelled by adrenaline, and rush to my gym bag for a stake. It's my best bet. 

But Angelus doesn't knock down the door like expected. I hear him march right past. My heart breaks at what that must mean.

Still, I retrieve a stake and holy water, stuffing the bottle in my bra and I clutch the stake so hard it hurts. Everything hurts. My heart feels like it's going to explode and my arms have angry crescent nail marks, from Ms Calendar, embedded into the flesh. 

With the time I have - which is rapidly depleting - I dial Buffy's number. She doesn't pick up.

"Buffy. Angel is trying to kill me and Jenny. He's not kidding around. Come to the school now. If I don't... I- I love you, Buff. Hurry." 

If I leave the school tonight in a body-bag, I need her to remember how much I love her. I don't say it enough, but she's my closest friend. If nothing else, she'll know the severity of the situation as I rarely express affection so directly. 

The emergency exit in the locker room won't budge, so I have no choice but to make a run for it. 

Out in the corridor, the LED lights crackle to life as I set their sensors off, charging towards the closest exit. Locked. Again. Tears cloud my vision as an unwelcome hopelessness starts to set in. I shake my head, my thoughts whirring. 

I should hide.

I punch the door's glass in frustration but it doesn't even crack. It only leaves my knuckles throbbing as I run towards the library. I hurtle around the corner and smack into Angelus's solid, terrifying frame. My mouth is too dry for me to even scream. 

"What's the rush?"

He doesn't hold onto me. He lets me escape, lets me run and play chase for a little while longer. I need Buffy.