Buffy Imagine - The Party pt2

I cried myself to sleep that night. 

I made it home just after 2am after I'd dropped Buffy home. We walked the whole way there in silence, and I don't know if that made it better or worse. The only thing she uttered was a 'bye' before she let herself in, leaving me standing conflicted on her doorstep. 

At least I managed to restrain my tears until I was alone in my bedroom. 

Nothing seems much better this morning as I yawn and open my fridge. I scan the shelves, but nothing appeals. I feel sick to my stomach in all honesty. 

It's 10am on a Sunday, and I should probably be finishing my homework. However, concentration is impossible when Buffy's words are constantly swimming around in my brain. 

But I like you!

I shake my head and pour myself a glass of water. I sit it down, stare at it, then take a slow sip.

I almost jump out of my skin when I hear the doorbell ring. I look down at my Hello Kitty pyjamas and decided to wrap my dressing gown around myself. 

"Coming!" I call down the hallway as I approach.

My mouth drops open when I open the door, and I hope I pursed my lips together fast enough for her not to notice. 

"Sorry for coming unannounced," Buffy says. She looks neat and pretty, with her hair slicked back into a ponytail and a crisp blouse that hugs her perfectly. "But I feel awful about yesterday."

I fold my arms, my heart already picking up speed. I hate how she has this effect on me. 

No, I don't.

"Why did you come?" I ask softly, trying my best not to sound accusatory.

Buffy blinks slowly and reveals a bunch of daisies from behind her back. "Remember in freshman year when we went stargazing? My date bailed and you wanted to cheer me up?"

 I know exactly what she's going to say.

"And you took me to the field behind your house. I told you that I hated men and you smiled knowingly. You joked that I could always date women and I laughed because I thought the idea was ridiculous. We talked for three hours in that freezing field, huddled under that red plaid blanket you brought."

"Buffy-" That night was so special to me. I feel tears start to prick my eyes and I have to bite my lip to stop my face betraying my emotions. The fact she remembers it in so much detail makes butterflies swarm in my stomach. 

"And I said I would never be good enough. I was insecure, I was venting, and you..."  She smiles sadly. "You compared me to a rose - said I was 'beautiful and strong' like a rose and its thorns. It was the cheesiest thing I've ever heard in my life. I called you a dork and you blushed. Then I said you'd be a daisy because they're so pretty but get overlooked."

"And I know that may have sounded like an insult, but what I meant was that... you can find beauty in the most unsuspecting places. That something so unexpected can bring you the most happiness."

"I like you. I'm sober and I mean it. I've loved you as a friend for years and I want you to know that I care about you more than anyone else in the whole world." 

I take the flowers from her hand, toss them onto the sideboard and grab her shirt. I pull her to my body and close her lips into a kiss. She kisses me back so passionately that electricity sparks all through my body. Happiness infects my brain like a drug as she touches my face gently.

"Buffy."

She kisses me again, stepping into my house and closing the door. She turns back to me, and her smile makes me grin. She doesn't say anything for a moment that lasts too long. I'm too flustered to break the silence, so I just take her hand and lead her into the kitchen.

"Have you eaten?" I ask her.

"Not yet."

"Toast?"

"Sure." I feel like I'm being awkward, but Buffy watches me with a smirk as I put the bread in the toaster and fetch some butter.

"Do you want to be my girlfriend?" 

I look up and drop the butter dish onto the counter with a thunderous clank. I nod and she smiles.

"Cool."