Spike Imagine - Birthday

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you! Happy bir-"

My heartfelt ballad comes to an unfairly abrupt end when Spike smashes a cupcake into my mouth. I suppose I was drowning out the Nirvana CD.

If I were sober, I could have been outraged, but I'm not so I pick up another and shove it in his face. I take the strawberry cupcake out of my mouth and lick the (delicious) frosting from my lips. Alternatively, Spike decides to inhale the whole of his, and then smacks his lips appreciatively.

"Ok, time to commemorate the special occasion."

It doesn't matter that Spike's birthday celebration is only being attended by the two of us. We should remember this night as it could well be the start of a yearly tradition: store-brought cupcakes, booze and old horror movies. 

I pull out the digital camera from my bag and Spike looks at it, confused.

"Don't tell me you haven't seen one of these before. I know you're ancient but -"

"Hey! Of course I know it's a bloody camera. It's just..." he trails off, still staring at it, thoughtfully. 

"What?" I ask, quietly.

"Just..." he looks up at me, staring straight into my soul, "Are you going to take a picture of us?"

I put my hand on his shoulder, "Are you okay?" 

It takes him a second to realise I'm teasing him and he shrugs me off with a huff.

"What is it? Have you never had your photo taken before?"

"Well... no." My eyebrows lift. "Well, cameras used to use mirrors, didn't they? I wouldn't show up. And even when they didn't... the crowd I used to hang around with weren't exactly sentimental..."

Although I may be giddy and tipsy, I'm not completely out of it. "Does that mean you haven't seen what you look like since... you turned?"

He shrugs and a sudden look of sadness washes over his face. So, I wrap my arm around his shoulder and pull him close until our cheeks touch. 

"Smile!" I tell him as I hold up the camera and snap a picture. 

He waits silently as I press a few buttons and find the picture. It's slightly off centre, but both of our grinning faces are captured. We look cute.

He doesn't say anything for a long moment and I worry that he doesn't like what he sees. 

"I look..." he takes the camera, squinting at the screen, "Fucking cool."

I laugh and a happy feeling settles in my stomach at seeing him look so pleasantly surprised.

"I wish I hadn't killed the hairdresser who died my hair all those years ago. They did a bloody good job."

I don't think he even notices me jump up and grabs his coat until I throw it onto his head.

"Hey!"

"Put this on and I'll take a better picture. Capture the whole Spike aesthetic."

He stands and passes me the camera, before slipping on his trench coat. "What do you want me to do?"

I tilt my head to the side, considering. "Just stand there, beside the TV."

He does, standing without posing, and I make sure to take a good photo. I pass him the camera and he bites his lip as he studies it. Instead of inflating his own ego again, he lets out a laugh. 

"It's been so long." His voice is wistful and he won't stop smiling. I can't lie - it's an unusual look for him. He turns to me, a glint in his eye, and tosses the camera onto the sofa. He picks me up with ease and twirls me around, all while I giggle like a lunatic. 

When he places me down, he keeps his arms on my hips and I put my arms around his neck, like we're dancing. 

"So why haven't you tried to jump my bones when I look this good?" he jokes, and I try to break away, but he grabs my hand and pulls me back in. We start to sway to the music that had faded into the background, but now sings softly around us. "I do miss the brown." he ponders, referring to his hair, "Made me look more... innocent."

"You're nothing of the sort."

"Yeah, but I could look it."

I smile, resting my head on his chest as we dance. He smells like cupcakes and smoke. 

"Happy birthday, Spike."

He beat passes before he answers.

"Thanks, love."

long time no post! hope u enjoyed <3