Spike Imagine - April Fools

set at the start of s5 

"Boo!" I shout, springing out from behind a tree in the cemetery, but Spike barely bats an eyelid as if he sees a killer clown ever day. My shoulders slum and I frown behind the mask.

"Are you quite finished, pet?" he asks, having the nerve to lean back on the tree and light up a cigarette without a care in the world.

"It's a prank. It's supposed to be scary." I rip the rubber mask off in a huff and before I can stop myself, I snatch the cig from his grasp and stamp on it.

"Hey!" 

It's midnight, marking the beginning of April 1st, April Fools, and my first prank has not gone well which is mildly annoying. No matter, I still have my other friends to trick. I begrudgingly head home and head straight to bed, needing enough energy to think of a better prank to pull on the vampire. I drift off and dream that pastries are falling out the sky and Spike brings me an umbrella. It's weird, but not as weird as the dream I had where everything was made of shrimp...

------------

The bell tinkles to announce my presence to the gang as I enter The Magic Box. I can see this becoming our go-to hang out spot, I'm glad Giles brought this place, it's cool.

"Morning!" I smile chirpily, placing a box of donuts on the table. I don't need to draw attention to them (and it would be too obvious to do so) - Buffy, Willow, Dawn, Anya and Xander all scramble for a pastry. I've slyly been bringing a box once every two weeks since the start of the year to build their trust. Some may say that's conniving, I prefer genius.

"Blah!" they more or less exclaim in unison as they bite into something they weren't expecting. 

"This isn't cream!" Anya pouts. 

"Mayonnaise," I explain simply, "April Fools!" 

They glare at me.

"Come on! It's funny."

Xander takes a swig of his orange juice, washing away the taste. He claps, half-genuine, half-sarcastic, "Better than last year, I applaud you."

"Thank you," I reply, thinking back to the classic bucket-of-water-on-top-of-the-door-frame prank last April. I sit in my chair and I instantly regret it. I know that sensation all too well. 

An evil grin spreads across Xander's face.

"Touché." I say through gritted teeth. It was lazy of me not to check where I was sitting because Xander has sprinkled itching powered there, just waiting for my bare thighs to sit on -  I shouldn't have worn a skirt today! Fair is fair, though, I can't complain.

I briskly get up and head for the door, "If you'll excuse me..."

Giles, who must have been taking out the rubbish, passes me on the way out, offering a sympathetic expression.

"Xander?" he asks. I nod as conformation and speed-walk home uncomfortably, dreaming of a nice warm shower. 

----------------

When I return, in a safer t-shirt and jeans, I find everyone (Tara's arrived) except Giles gathered around the table. 

Xander is sprawled out across two chairs with his arms resting behind his head, eyes closed. "Whatever, but I want no part in it." he's saying.

"Part in what?" I ask as I enter, but he doesn't even open his eyes. 

The question goes ignored as I collapse into the powder-free seat next to him, stretching out my legs. Willow slides the nearest giant, ancient, dusty book over to me which I open, flicking to the page I was on yesterday. Unlike everyone else (excluding The Watcher), I actually quite enjoy research - despite being deadly, each demon is unique and interesting. One of my favourite things to do is announce random facts I acquire to the quietly concentrated room, just to hear their reactions (they usually consist of ew and yuck).