Spike Imagine - Eavesdropping

"Why do I have six missed calls from Buffy? Do - do you think she found out?!"

"How would I know?" Spike shrugs, "Don't look so worried, pet. Even if she did, it's none of her bloody business if we're on a date."

"Yeah, but you know what she's like," I sigh, bringing my pink flip phone to my ear. "Buffy? Hey! Is everything alright? Okay... Sure. Maybe around 8 o'clock? No, it's fine... Okay... Bye."

"What did Goldilocks want?" he asks, not bothering to keep the distain out of his voice.

"She wants me home soon so I told her 8. It's a bit weird..."

"Maybe she just doesn't want you getting your freak on with a creature of the night," Spike smirks, squeezing my thigh under our blanket and I laugh. He checks an antique clock that decorates his crypt. "That gives us, what? An hour?"

"Just enough time to finish the film." I look at his lips because I'd much rather be kissing them than watching the film, but I reluctantly turn my head to the tv. Honestly, horror movies aren't my thing, but I thought I'd give one a try with Spike to cuddle up to if it gets too scary. He loves it too, I know he does, because he feels like he's protecting me. I'm Buffy's cousin, she's taught me all the self defence my brain can handle, so I let Spike feel all manly in this moment (because it's one of the few he can get). 

This is our third date: first it was The Bronze, then it was a night-time picnic and today it's a movie. They just keep getting better and better. Although he's always been kind towards me, I was nervous when he suggested a date due to his, you know, history but I really like spending time with him. The fact that he's easy on the eyes doesn't hurt either. I'm growing more comfortable with him and I really hope that tonight might be the night that he kisses me for the first time. I know how that sounds but hey, I'm a hopeless romantic.

When 8 o'clock rolls around, we begrudgingly slip on our boots and coats, heading out into a darkening Sunnydale. Street lamps light our path as we walk slowly, our fingers intertwined, towards home. I keep stealing glances at Spike and he catches my gaze, smiling.

I slot my key into the lock and turn, insisting that Spike comes in. Dawn will want to say hi, and I have a borrowed shirt that I need to give back to him (it chucked it down with rain on that picnic I mentioned). 

Our hands part as we step over the threshold, sending a little pang of sadness to my chest. 

"I'm home!" I shout into the silence but, to my surprise and slight annoyance, nobody replies. 

I take Spike's jacket and hang it up for him before fishing around in my bag under the coat-rack. "Here," I press the black fabric into his hands, "Thanks for letting me borrow it." I open the door to the living room and my hand hovers over the light switch before I change my mind, turning back to Spike. 

He's already looking at me with love hearts in his eyes. It's obvious how much I mean to him and it makes me want him even more. 

I take a deep breath. "I want to tell Buffy, and the others, about us," I admit, "I just don't think I'm totally ready."

"I understand, love," he replies, taking a step closer, "But I hope it's not too long because it's hard not to give the game away."

"I know," I look down at the polished, wooden floor but Spike tilts my chin up with two gentle fingers. He holds me in his arms, his scent of leather and firewood all too apparent, his lips impossible not to look at.

"It's too temping not to," he brushes my hair behind my ear and I can feel my breathing getting heavier, the voice screaming in my head to make a move gets louder but he does it first, bringing his mouth to mine.

"Do this."

The kiss is soft, quick, electric but most importantly, leaves me wanting more. 

"I really like you, Spike." I whisper, and my lips find his again. Now I've had a taste, I want more (and more and more). I make an embarrassing noise when one of his hands moves from my hip to my lower back, pushing me closer into his body. "And," I say, kissing the corner of his mouth, "I'd love to keep the shirt if you'll let me. It smells like you and me taking one t-shirt away increases the chances of me seeing you without one. Statistically speaking." He smirks and I smirk back at my new found confidence. 

He kisses me again but I can't enjoy it because he pulls away too quick. My hand touches his cheek, wanting him closer, but his eyes are glistening with confusion. "What is it?"

His pink lips part, as if in realisation, but he doesn't say a word. It's unsettling. Did I do something wrong? Am I a bad kisser?

I step back and go into the living room but Spike reaches out a hand to stop me - a second too late. I flick the light on and my heart plummets as all my friends jump out at me.

"S-surprise!"

"Er- surprise!"

"...surprise."

They awkwardly babble "Surprise!", having obviously heard Spike and I's conversation. Embarrassment grips me by the throat and I try to retreat but bump into Spike's chest, making me turn even redder.

It's funny how the earth never swallows you up when you want it to.

Everyone is smiling awkwardly, having no clue what to do with themselves. Slowly, Spike wipes lipstick from the edge of his mouth and I cover my face with my hands. I fight the urge to shout 'surprise!' back at them.

I also fight the urge to scream. And violently throw up everywhere.

Everyone heard that Spike and I are a thing, they all heard that noise I made that was basically a moan and, worse still, they all heard my awful attempt at flirty talk. Statistically speaking? What was I thinking?

"Happy birthday for tomorrow!" Dawn beams as she rushes up to me with a present in hand. I have a sneaking suspicion that Buffy held her hands over Dawn's ears as soon as she sussed out what was happening. I take the gift with shaking hands and Dawn pouts. "What?" 

She turns to her sister and her friends. "What is it?!"

"Dawn," Giles says calmly, "Can you help me get Y/N's present out of my car?" He ushers Dawn out of the room and flashes wide eyes at me, as if to say 'good luck'. Dawn looks confused but she isn't stupid and can take the hint - she mouths "Tell me later." as she leaves. 

When I look at Spike, his expression is unreadable until he meets my eyes and a small smirk tugs on his lips - now I know exactly what he's thinking.

"Surprise!" we chorus in unison, flashing fake smiles before the impending, this-will-make-me-want-to-die interrogation.