Buffy Imagine - The Party

Red plastic cups. The stench of alcohol. Public displays of affection. And the overwhelming urge to run.

That's parties for you.

I wanted to go to The Bronze, like normal, but Buffy dragged me and Xander along to a proper college party. I feel like a fish out of water, and by the bewildered look on Xander's face, I guess he feels the same.

"I should have refused to come, like Willow," I complain, the pop music trying to drown out my words. Xander turns his body towards me and takes a large gulp from his cup.

"What? No! We're like properly cool, now." he says, eyes wide.

"How much have you had to drink?" I ask, but he only replies in the form of a big, goofy smile. He taps his nose with a tipsy giggle, and I sigh. 

"Lighten up! Maybe you'll even find a boy to..." he hiccups, "Dance with or make out with or whatever,"

"Yeah..." I sigh, staring after the only person I want to do any of those things with. And she's oblivious, my best friend, and definitely not interested.  

"Hey," Xander budges me, "That girl... she's looks like a butterfly." 

"A butterfly?" I smile at my drunken friend.

"Pretty," he explains, standing up. Surprisingly, he doesn't wobble at all as he approaches the girl, who's wearing a short purple dress with matching high heels. I look down at my black jeans and tank top, wishing I'd dressed a little nicer. 

My stare naturally returns back to Buffy who is dancing in the middle of the room. Boys watch in awe, girls watch in jealousy, but I just admire her. The way she runs her fingers through her blonde hair, how she acts like she's the only person in the world. 

She looks up and makes eye contact with me, and I could have sworn she winked. I smile bashfully and glance down at the floor. 

~ An hour later ~

An hour later, I've managed to have some pointless conversations and enough diet coke to quench the thirst of an army. I'm growing restless and want to leave soon, but Xander's nowhere to be seen, and Buffy's flirting with a tall boy in a leather jacket. 

I want to leave, but I need to make sure Buffy gets home safely. 

"Y/N!" Buffy shouts across the room, waving clumsily at me. 

"Buffy? Are you okay?" I shout back, weaving my way through the dense crowd of bodies.

"Yeeeeeeah!" she slurs. All of a sudden, her eyes widen, and she clamps a hand over her mouth.

"Oh, God. Buffy, wait! We'll get you to a bathroom. Don't puke yet!" I command, grabbing her hand and pulling her in the right direction. We scramble up the stairs and it's the first door on the right. We barge in without knocking - thankfully it's empty - and Buffy collapses in front of the toilet. I lift the lid and she promptly vomits. 

"Oh Buffy," I say sympathetically, carefully pulling her hair back.

"Sorry," she mutters, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. 

"It's okay, Buffy. Just... wash your hands, okay?" 

She nods and slowly gets to her feet. She washes her hands thoroughly and even swills her mouth out with mouthwash. Satisfied, I hand her the towel and she smiles. After she does this, I fill a glass up with water and watch her down the whole thing. 

"Thanks, Y/N. I can always count on you." she says quietly, taking a seat on the edge of the bath. Only now realising it's open, I close the bathroom door and lock it.  I take a deep breath, leaning my head back against the door. 

"Just take a breather, okay? Then, I'm taking you home." I say.

"Why? I wanna stay! I wanna dance with you!" she moans, standing up again and placing her hands on my shoulders.

"You're so drunk." I laugh as we start swaying to the faded party music.

"Nooo! I want..." she trails off, resting her head in the crook of my neck. My heartrate quickens and I take a step back.

"Come on, Buff." I say uncertainly. Buffy's eyes are trained on me like she'll never look away. She takes a step closer, and I take a step back, my back bumping into the wall. 

Her eyes are piercing as she smirks, "Y/N."

The way she says my name sends a shiver down my spine. 

She's so close now, I can smell the mint of her breath and the vanilla of her perfume. She leans in and her whisper tickles my neck: "I don't want to leave just yet." 

Before I know what's happening, she crashes her lips into mine. I shove her backwards immediately and stare at her, open-mouthed.

"Y/N?" she asks innocently, reaching out an arm to touch me. 

"Buffy. Stop." I state, mind racing. "You're drunk." 

"But I like you!" she smiles, tilting her head to the side.

"Tell me that when you're sober," I say softly, looking down. I look back up and Buffy's staring at my quizzically. She pouts and stumbles to the door, fumbling with the lock, "I will." she mutters, and I follow her out of the house, into the cold night air. 

Part Two coming soon! Remember to vote, comment etc :)