Spike Imagine - Gingerbread House pt2; Christmas Day

Hope you're enjoying the imagines - don't forget to vote, comment etc <3

The smell of cinnamon and gingerbread fills the air, and every room of Buffy's house is full of decorations: wreaths, candles, lights, tinsel. The fire burns brightly and Willow and Tara sit crossed legged before it, warming up their hands. Spike watches the lovebirds, a smile playing on his lips, before he turns his attention to Y/N, who is deep in conversation with Dawn. He watches her hand gestures, the way she tucks her hair behind her ear. He notices how she blushes when Dawn lets out a hearty laugh, probably at her expense. 

He could stare at her forever.

Xander clears his throat obnoxiously. "Ok, I think I've - I mean we've - waited long enough. Presents?" 

Y/N's eyes light up, and everyone choruses their enthusiastic agreement. He hasn't had the chance to talk to her yet, but maybe he can catch her alone to give her her present. 

As Tara and Willow are already on the floor, everyone else sits down in a circle. Spike sighs, taking a seat next to Y/N. She smiles at him, and he smiles back. 

"Ok, who's first?"

It takes about half an hour for all the gifts to be opened - Spike takes joy in seeing Y/N's delighted expression at everything she gets. He watches patiently, not expecting anything for him, until Dawn taps him lightly on the shoulder. Wordlessly, she hands him a badly wrapped present with a shy smile on her face. 

"Thanks, Niblet." Spike thanks her genuinely, opening up the small parcel. It's a bottle of black nail polish and he smiles. "This is really thoughtful."

Dawn smiles, "No problem." 

What a sweet girl. Way nicer than her sister. Spike looks over to the rest of the group, who all have numerous gifts spread out before them. He knows it's stupid to feel left out - he shouldn't expect anything after the things he's done - but a pang of emotion stabs at his heart without permission. 

People start to get up and move, some get snacks or drinks, others move to the couch and chat. Spike excuses himself and goes to the bathroom. 

As he returns, he bumps into Y/N in the hallway. 

"Merry Christmas!" she beams.

"Merry Christmas," Spike says. 

Y/N wraps Spike into a hug, taking the vampire by surprise. He hugs her back, though, inhaling a whiff of her coconut-scented hair. 

"You look beautiful," he compliments, admiring her sparkly eyeshadow and rosy lips. He tries not to linger on them for too long, but he fails.

"Thanks," she mutters, "Anyway, here you go!" she presses a pink parcel into Spike's hands. 

"Oh. Thank you." he says. He pauses. "I... I got something for you too." 

"Aw, really?" she smiles, accepting Spike's gift that he took out of his trouser pocket. She gazes at the neat box, wrapped in shiny silver paper. "Open yours!" 

"Okay." Spike complies. 

He carefully unwraps it, and he lets out an excited, quiet gasp when he sees what's inside. 

It's a thick, black ring with two red rubies embedded in the metal. He holds it up to his eyes to get a closer look. The light reflects in just the right way to highlight the engraving that runs along the inside band of the ring. In pretty cursive it reads, '𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁𝒾𝒶𝓂'. 

"I love it." he blurts out. Conflicted emotions of longing and suspicion dart around his mind, until Y/N smiles and it all melts away until only love is left. 

"I'm glad... can I open yours?" she looks down at it and picks at the corners. Once the wrapping paper is discarded, there's a black little velvet box, that looks like it could contain a watch, or a ring. "This'll be embarrassing if we got each other the same thing," she jokes, prying open the lid. 

"Wow." Inside, there is a dainty cross necklace, "How did you do this?" she asks.

"I have my ways." Spike replies, trying to read her expression. It wasn't easy to never touch the thing, but he did it with the help of Clem. 

"Why did you get me this?" This was not the reaction he was hoping for.

"I - I noticed that you didn't have one. Dawn and Buffy wear one all the time and I... I just want you to, you know. Keep safe."

Y/N snaps the box shut sharply and Spike flinches. "Do you know why  I never wear one?" 

"I'm sorry, Y/N, I didn't - "

"Spike." she interrupts, she sighs. "Do you know why I never wear one?" 

When Spike doesn't reply, she says, "In the hope I could one day do this." She grabs Spike by his shirt and crashes her lips into his. Spike startles but soon kisses her back passionately. 

Spike stares into her eyes after they break away. She's breathing heavily, and the black box is now on the floor. Their bodies are still presses close together, and if anyone walked in, it would be very awkward to explain. 

"I'm sorry for getting you such a crap gift." Spike whispers.

"I know how you can make it up to me." Spike raises an eyebrow - Y/N isn't usually this forward, but he's not complaining. He licks his lower lip slowly before cupping her chin with one hand. He leans down slowly and kisses her gently, savouring the moment and the taste of her sweet lips. 

Spike can feel Y/N smile against his lips, and she whispers, "I've had quite a bit of eggnog." 

Spike laughs.

"But I'm sober enough to tell you that I truly like you. It's just... I've been too much of a coward to do anything about it."

"You're the coward? Y/N, I've been in love with you for the better half of a year now."

"In love?" she repeats, taking a step back. 

"Y/N." Spike says seriously. "You mean everything to me."

She takes a deep breath. Her smile fades and is replaced by a disbelieving frown. "How did I not know? I mean, Willow kept saying you liked me back but you... you love me? No, this is too... Are you kidding? I really like you, Spike and now - "

"Hey, it's okay. Calm down, pet," A bemused smile makes its way onto Spike's face. "Don't worry. All that matters is that we're into each other, right?" Y/N nods, "So, let's just focus on that."

"Yeah," Y/N bends down to pick the box off the floor. "I don't think I'll be needing this," she smirks, handing it to Spike.

"Good."

The pair turn to go back into the living room, but they can't even get through the doorway before Willow and Dawn start shouting at them.

"Look! Mistletoe!"

"You're under the mistletoe!" 

"You have to kiss, it's like the law or something!"

Spike and Y/N lock eyes at the same time and don't need to be told twice to bring their lips together. They keep the kiss short and sweet, but it earns an enthusiastic clap from Dawn and Willow nevertheless. Spike grins... This has been the best Christmas he could ever hope for.