Tara & Buffy Imagine - Getting Ready

"I don't get why you're so worked up over this."

"You wouldn't! Look, it's like a science and I don't have an equation sheet. I need to look perfect so that Tara will take one look at me and plan out our future together, right down to the white picket fence and two cats."

"But this is your first date."

"And...?" 

I sigh and Buffy smiles fondly - if not a little perplexedly - and throws a dress at me. 

"This is cute."

I pick it up and examine the floral pattern. I agree it's cute, but is it the right choice?

"The thing is Buff, I don't know if Tara is into mascs or femmes."

"What the hell does that mean?"

"Like, if she likes girls who dress more masculine or more feminine."

"She's not gonna care."

"She might!" I collapse onto Buffy's bed and see her rifle through the bag I brought out of the corner of my eye. 

She takes out all the clothing options and turns to me: "You trust me, right?"

I sit up and quirk an eyebrow at her. "Yes..." I say uncertainly. 

"Then let me pick your outfit."

"Noooo!"

"Yeeees!"  

"Fine." I pout, jumping off the bed to take the clothes she's picked. "If she hates me forever because I look like an idiot, I'm blaming you!"

"You're so strange." Buffy comments as she turns her back to me so I can change.

I pull on my favourite top, my most worn-in pair of jeans and the only pair of sneakers I own.

"Ok, you can turn around." I say with a sigh, gesturing to my outfit, "I just look like myself."

"Exactly." Buffy replies, as if this outfit is the obvious choice, "Now you look like the girl that Tara wants to date, and not some weird, over-thinking, confused version of her."

"I love you Buff, but damn, you're harsh."

She laughs and jumps when the doorbell rings. 

"Oh no." I say, frantically rushing to the mirror to adjust my hair and smooth down my shirt. 

"Go get the door then!" Buffy instructs me but when I look at her, her face softens, "It'll be alright. Don't worry so much. Just enjoy yourself."

I breath in and out. This is my first date with Tara but also my first date in my entire life, so I'm more than a bit anxious. But at least I can recognise that. I take another deep breath and go downstairs. 

"Hey!" I greet her brightly.

"Hi." Tara smiles, hesitating for a second as she looks at me, "A-are you ready to go?"

"Yep." I glance back to Buffy who is watching from the top of the stairs. She gives me a thumbs up and I smile back, stepping out into the sun with my date, closing the door quietly behind us.