Spike Imagine - Car

Character name - Esther 
[character deaths spoilers up to season 5 ep16]

"Come on !"

"Everyone get in!"

"Bloody hell, we're coming!"

"Go! Drive!"

As soon as all the doors slam shut, Giles puts his foot down and the Scoobies speed off into the night. Buffy peers out of the passenger window at the hoard of demons that are turning to pinpricks in the night as Giles speeds away. It's not like them to retreat, but these demons can only be killed with one thing: fire; which they don't have readily available.

The old, rusty car trundles down the rocky road towards Buffy's house. Buffy gives a quick glance back to Spike and Esther. 

There's a long moment of panting and sighing and swearing. 

"That stinks," Spike remarks, wrinkling his nose at the blue goop coating Buffy's hands.

"She should be grateful the demon spat goo at her and not those terrible thorn things." Giles sighs, rubbing his temple.

"That was close," Buffy adds, "Way too close. Plus, this goo will never come out!" She prods at her sweater, grimacing as a string of goo attaches to her finger. 

Spike leans back in his seat, staring at the ceiling, "I think Buffy and I should handle them alone next time."

"Yeah." Buffy nods. 

"Is that alright, Ez?" Spike says with a glance over to Esther, who is slumped against the window, "That's okay, Ez?"

She doesn't reply. 

"Ez." 

Spike scoots over to her, pulling her more upright by the shoulders as gently as he can. She moans. 

"Spike?" Buffy says.

"Ez?" Spike whispers. 

Giles switches on the car light and Spike can see the bright red seeping through her pastel shirt. "Oh shit." he mutters as he pulls up the fabric, revealing one of the demon's spikes pierced through her stomach, an ugly, gaping wound.

Buffy gasps, raw and worried, as the blood continues to pour out like a macabre water fountain. 

"What?" Giles' voice is frantic as he struggles to keep his eyes on the road, "What happened? Esther?" 

"Ez," it seems like the only word that makes sense to Spike, "Ez."

It's like he's pleading with nobody, watching the energy drain out of her body faster than the blood. He presses into her soft stomach with shaking hands but the pressure doesn't do a thing. 

"Giles," his voice cracks, "Would the hospital or Willow be better? Can she fix her?"

Giles doesn't reply, thinking.

"Or Tara," Spike suggests. His hands are turning scarlet. "Can she? Can she do a spell or something? Buffy?"

Giles decides, "We should take her to the hospital."

With a sharp turn, the car swings around a corner. They hurtle towards the hospital, running more than one red light. Buffy clambers into the backseat, applying pressure to the wound while Spike pulls Esther into his lap, continuously talking to her.

"I know you can hear me, Ez. Don't you go dying on me, yeah?" He strokes her hair from her face, leaving a smear of blood. "You're good, love."

"Oh God. Oh God." Buffy repeats in a mutter. Her tears are dropping onto Esther's stomach.