Spike Imagine - Acting

Sunnydale Theatre is a small, quaint place in desperate need of a paint job. The theatre is over a century old - and you can tell - but it smells like history and feels like home. I've been a member since the start of high school, starring in more plays than I can count. 

It's after hours and the theatre is silent and empty - perfect for me to practise. Well, ideally, Gary would be here to run lines with me, but it's a full moon so he's safety tied up at home. Poor Gary...

A single spotlight shines down on the stage, illuminating me and the pretty dress that I'm to wear on opening night. There's no practical reason for me to be in my costume while I'm practising alone, but it makes me feel like a princess. It's long, white and old-fashioned. When I wear it, I'm not an awkward, anxious loser - no, I'm Beatrice from Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, and I'm beautiful. 

I know I have another month to perfect my lines but I need to be just that - perfect. Especially as Buffy, Willow and Xander will be on the front row on opening night. Yes, they've seen me act before, but they're all bringing their respective partners who haven't. It's a new pressure. Part of me wishes I had someone to bring. Someone sitting there, staring up at me with pride and love in their eyes. Someone who'd kiss me after the show and tell me how amazing I was. Someone who would hold my hand as they walk me home after every performance so they know I get home safe.

I scan the script. I haven't practised this part yet.  

"I will weep a while longer." I pause, saying Gary's line in my head, "You have no reason. I do it freely." 

My voice is loud and crisp, bouncing off the walls, making me feel powerful. On stage, I can be anyone, do anything. 

"How much might the..."  I stop. I swear I just heard something... footsteps, maybe. I tense - this is a public building. It could be a vamp. Maybe being here alone, at night, wasn't such a good idea. God, I can imagine the disappointed look on Giles' face. 

Just as I'm about to gather my things and escape through the fire exit, a figure enters through the back, sauntering down the isle, towards the stage. 

"Don't mind me, love. Carry on."

I sigh with relief. 

"I'm not performing in front of you!" I shout down at him. I suddenly feel cold in this sleeveless dress. I wish I had something to cover up with.

Spike bites his lip and he takes a seat in the audience, spreading his legs and leaning back like he owns the place. He nods at me expectantly. 

"Go away, Spike." I say tiredly. I need to practise and he's making me nervous.

"What play is it this time?" he asks. "Is it a panto?"

He has this weird thing about pantomimes. They're not really a thing in America. 

"No, Shakespeare. Much Ado About Nothing."

"Oh, I like that one. Macbeth's my favourite, but maybe next year." He jumps out of his seat and lifts himself onto the stage. Something catches his eye in the wings and he goes after it, coming back a moment later with his own copy of the script. Stupid Gary, leaving his stupid script behind. 

"What scene are you on?"

"Spike..."

"I'll run lines with you."

"No."

"What do you mean no?"

I snatch the script out of his hands and he looks at me with mock shock. 

"You'll make fun of me." I mumble and Spike tuts.

"You're gonna have to speak louder than that if you want to be an actress."